another mp3 question... via W850i mobile.

no-fear

Candy FR has been born!!!
Jan 24, 2005
Macclesfield
Hi all...

In my haste to get my order in for the Leon mk2, the only options I went for were the 18" and bluetooth, as I don't currently own an MP3 player I didn't consider the ipod and AUX connections.
Anyway, I have ordered a new mobile phone, the Sony Erricson W850i which is an MP3 player (I think it has the same connector as the ipod)
I've searched and can't find the exact (and simple) answer, is there a way to connect the W850i to the Leons audio system?
What connectors do I need and where do they go?
I'm completely new to the mp3 scene... :confused:

Does the mk2 have a multichanger connector that I could connect to without taking the headunit out?

Many Thanx y'all

Last edited:

englishhaggis

If it's a Leon FR you've ordered, the AUX input should be standard.

I too have the 850i and will connect to the AUX input if you get yourself a cable with a 3.5mm headphone-style jack on both ends. You plug one end into the AUX socket and the other into the headphone socket on the hands-free kit which the phone comes with. Works a treat.

You don't get the music info showing up on the head unit though, like you would with the optional iPod connector, but i don't think it matters as long as you set up decent playlists in advance.

Hope that helps!

no-fear

Jan 24, 2005
Macclesfield
Thanks for the reply englishhaggis, very helpful.
It is the FR TDI I've ordered, can I just check, the AUX input is standard and not an option (probably a dumb question I know), and where would this connector be?

Cheers m8

englishhaggis

Yes, the AUX input is standard on the FR. It's on the centre console just behind the central locking/tyre pressure/ESP switches, under a little plastic flap marked 'AUX'.

no-fear

Jan 24, 2005
Macclesfield
Cheers again m8y, and there's loads of 3.5mm male - male jack leads on ebay.

Phones just arrived, just need the car to go with it..... "C'mon Seat"

much appreciated englishhaggis :coolthumb

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
w850i different to ipod connection. use the connector you got with your phone and a male-male instead of the ear buds, will work fine.

ps, when did you order your car, and when did they say you would be able to pick it up?

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
Even better to order the se bluetooth audio adaptor as you can then setup a wireless connection to the aux in connection and have the phone on a holder to change your tunes. I have the same mobile (typing this message on it too) and am going down that route for times widow i have not cut my music onto cd.

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
can you use the the bluetooth (on your phone) for mp3 playback as well as being connected to the cars phone bluetooth?

(i hope that makes sense to you, ive read it over a few times and cant figure out how to make it sound clearer, sorry)

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
There is an adaptor that sony sell on there website that has a headphone socket that you connect via a male to male cable into the car. This is connected via bluetooth to the phone like those wireless headphones.

no-fear

Jan 24, 2005
Macclesfield
It's a lease car, was told it would be about 12 weeks, only ordered it about 5 weeks ago :(

Like a kid waitin for christmas.....:whistle:

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
ive been waiting over 9 weeks now. my car has been built (so i have been led to believe) but is still awaiting shipping.
once the boat leaves it could take up to 10 days to get here depending on stops to unload in other countries on the way, tides and winds :wtf:, i thought boats had engines these days not sails!!!
then once it docks in this country could be another 10 days before i get my grubby mitts on it. oh well, it might have stopped raining by then!!

pummy; i was thinking along the lines of this CLICKY off the good old bay. should do me fine.

chippenhamwilts

Mar 31, 2007
I have the W850i and the FR TDI, aux is most definitly standard and like has been said you can playu tunes using the jack lead from phone to aux.
I didnt go for Bluetooth though as I have a couple of tomtoms, the 910 is brilliant in the car, bluetooth to phone and then aux lead to car, the tomtom plays the tunes (has mp3 built in) and has a remote control, all the directions come through the stereo and pauses the tunes, and the phone works through the tomtom which also pauses tunes so no need to mute. PERFECT

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
Chrisboyle999, that cable should be good and still allow phone bluetooth use. Might have to get me one too. Seems like a good bargain until we can get dvd mp3 players for the leon dash.

no-fear

Jan 24, 2005
Macclesfield
I have the W850i and the FR TDI, aux is most definitly standard and like has been said you can playu tunes using the jack lead from phone to aux.
I didnt go for Bluetooth though as I have a couple of tomtoms, the 910 is brilliant in the car, bluetooth to phone and then aux lead to car, the tomtom plays the tunes (has mp3 built in) and has a remote control, all the directions come through the stereo and pauses the tunes, and the phone works through the tomtom which also pauses tunes so no need to mute. PERFECT

sounds perfect m8, though confusing. Think I'll stick to my trusty Tomtom one :)
but with the w850i into the AUX :rolleyes:

Chris_Cupra

Apr 17, 2007
Athens, Greece
What kind of cable do you have to use in order to connect a mobile phone-mp3 player to the AUX-IN ...??? My K800i does not have a jack-in option, so a jack-to-jack cable won't do the job ...:confused:

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
What kind of cable do you have to use in order to connect a mobile phone-mp3 player to the AUX-IN ...??? My K800i does not have a jack-in option, so a jack-to-jack cable won't do the job ...:confused:

What handsfree cable did you get with the phone? Find a picture and post the link pls.

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland

chris,
see the clicky on post #12, should be fine for k800i. its the genuine thing, got mine a couple of days ago, just need a car to plug mine into, still!

chris

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.