Anyone got an OMP front lower steel brace installed?

brwmogazos

Interceptor
Apr 19, 2006
South Greece
I came accross this lower suspension arm brace by OMP.

I havent seen anyone using one so i would like to ask if someone has fitted one and whats it like...

They are quite cheap too, @ 65euro...

Part Number: OMPMA1864
Made of high quality steel finished in a vibrant and durable red paint.
Strut braces are a very popular tuning part for road use and probably the cheapest way to improve the suspension. By strengthening the front suspension turrets, the suspension geometry is kept stable by reducing the movement of the inner wings, increasing road holding and reducing tyre wear. They are relatively easy to fit with basic tools and mechanical knowledge.
> INCREASED ROAD HOLDING
> LESS CHASSIS FLEX
> REDUCED TYRE WEAR

ma1864.jpg

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
I've seen a topic with someone that had it.
I think he had to cut part of the tray underneath the car or something?
Eitherway, let me know how it goes? I'm interested but I'm not sure at the moment.

brwmogazos

Interceptor
Apr 19, 2006
South Greece
That would be a nice thread to read...

Ill try to do a search...cos i would like to see how it stands out under the car...

Wouldnt want to hit anything while driving if theres not enough clearance under the car...

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Yeh, it would make the car understeer even more than it already does :lol:

How do you come to that conclusion ?

Most cars respond well to upper and lower braces being fitted.

They keep the front of the car from distorting when cornering and hold the suspension where it should be.

CrossyR

Hi, Im Ron Burgundy
Sep 13, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I was looking at these the other week. I suppose you will have to modify the undertray to get them to fit? Or just take it off altogether. I suppose if it does cause more understeer you could always take it off. Only £60 afterall ;)

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
How do you come to that conclusion ?

Most cars respond well to upper and lower braces being fitted.

They keep the front of the car from distorting when cornering and hold the suspension where it should be.

Through years of trial and error?

Respond well on internet forums? Or through track testing with a G meter?

I know the theory behind upper and lower braces, but the practice is a lot different. I don;t have experience of the 20vt engine in a Mk4, but in a TDi, i would quite happily say if you drove two different cars without knowing which had the braces fitted, you couldn;t tell the difference.

On a track, with grippy tyres, they will do some good. But on the road, they'll generally make the car understeer more.

The stiffer the front is, the more understeer. Stiffen the rear, more oversteer. As the TDi is very prone to understeer, you even that out by fitting a rear ARB (thats usual practice on here, I'm not suggesting its the best) If you then stiffen the front, you're upsetting the balance once more.

My personal opinion, and its always the same, is that there are plenty of things to do before fitting strut braces.