Anyone here do MOTs? Would this alloy pass or fail?

maxlifo

05 MK4 Ibiza FR 20VT
Jul 30, 2007
Hi all,

In a bit of a quandary here. I got a puncture on one of my 2 month old Toyo Proxes last week. I took the wheel off to take it to the local tyre fitting centre only to find the inside rim looking pretty busted (see pic). The guy I gave the wheel to seemed to think it was fine, but i got a call an hour later to say they were refusing to fix the puncture, as they would fail the wheel on an MOT. Bit pissed off as they fitted the new tyres to those very rims and I've not kerbed/potholed them since AFAIK. Did they not notice? :confused:

What do you guys reckon?

Cheers.

Last edited:

maxlifo

05 MK4 Ibiza FR 20VT
Jul 30, 2007
forgot to say, that's not where the puncture is. Looked all round and can't find any holes, tears or anything. The guys in the tyre place couldn't either.

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
that wud pass, iv put one through worse than that. However I would be questioning the integrity of the wheel if its had an inpact big enough to take that on the inside.

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
Im a mot tester i would pass it if there is no damage to the tyre like ya said.Id put a advisory notice just to cover myself.

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Surprising that would fail an MOT. Doesn't look structural or if it would cause the tyre to come off the rim :shrug:. The Seat alloys are so soft, i bet loads of ppl on here have kerb marks worse than that.

maxlifo

05 MK4 Ibiza FR 20VT
Jul 30, 2007
Sorry about the delay in replying, I've not had time to get online.

Thanks for all the advice fellas. Much appreciated (the links were very useful m0rk).

Anyone think it's refurbishable? Only ask cos I'm planning on getting 17"s next year and I'd rather not shell out for a new wheel at the moment TBH (credit crunch and all that). The other thing is, I don't wanna take the tyre for repair elsewhere, only to be driving around on a rim that could potentially cause a nasty accident at 70+MPH.

What would Jesus/you lot do? :shrug:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Do nothing, that damage is nothing at all, go and look at your average 5 year old car and you will see damage waaaaaayyyyyy worse than that.

You should have no worries with safety or MOT's with the damage in your picture, it's just a mark

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes it looks okay - you could easily get that sort of damage from "touching" a stone. I'd be inclined to cut off or file any raised areas at the edges of the dent and stick some paint on it to try and hold back corrosion. Maybe you had just been lucky and landed heavily on something that pushed the tyre off the rim a bit - but enough to lose some air before resealing - that might just explain the air loss and this dent.

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
My mum's Mazda just passed it's MOT with one badly buckled wheel :blink: That looks pretty minor - as Rum4mo said, just try tidying it up a bit

maxlifo

05 MK4 Ibiza FR 20VT
Jul 30, 2007
Cheers for all the advice.

Turns out my old man knows an MOT tester (now he tells me)! :-o I took the wheel to him last night and he found the puncture and assured me that he'd pass the wheel on an MOT, but leave a covering note (as Adam Kelly said). Reckons the garage that refused to fix the tyre may have done the damage when they fitted the Toyos a couple of months ago (just after I got the car), as it looks like it could be claw marks rather than road damage. Guess it could have been that, or the dude I bought the car off. I'll never know.

He's gonna fix it for me today and put some bead sealant around the damaged area, just to be safe. I'll give it a little touch up as per RUM4MOs advice, when I get it back. I'm planning on getting some 17"s next year, so would rather put the money towards that, than fork out for a new rim/repair job.

Thanks again all for the excellent advice.

Cheers.

Last edited:

maxlifo

05 MK4 Ibiza FR 20VT
Jul 30, 2007
I can see it mate. Couldn't last night at me mates house though. Can PM you if you're desperate...

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Just noticed you're running streched tyres - I'm sure this isn't helping the situation and may have contributed to you losing pressure in the tyre

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
That's nothing, just a small scrape on the thin alloy lip, nothing like structural.
Not only should it pass but I don't think it should even have an advisory - most cars have kerbing damage far worse than that !