AP racing kit NOW FITTED WITH PICS

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
I posted a while back on this topic and the kit is now ready for my car- I hope to have them fitted by the end of the week- here is the guys advert from another forum- I will report back but I am optimistic that the outcome will be better than the iron upgrade route and may be lighter than and possibly better than a cupra or R32 set up.
"Hi boys/girls, as some of you are aware i have been starting to make big brake upgrades using 4 pot ap racing calipers (these do have the tvr logo on them, this can either be machined off or left as they are at no extra cost) and then making the brackets and bells to fit various other cars.

I personally have a set fitted to my own car a Peugeot 306 rallye and have to say they are great-

The set i have made up may interest some of you on here, these are a big brake kit for the mk5 golf/seat leon, these are 335mm brake rotors, bells, brackets, pads, calipers and braided brake lines, basically everything you need to fit these to your car. All the brackets and the bells (centre of the disc) have been clear anodised so will not corrode and look horrid behind your wheels.
A couple of pix!
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g284/mechanicalrepairs/vwbrakes001.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g284/mechanicalrepairs/vwbrakes002.jpg

If fitting is a problem then please state and i can fit these for you at my garage in Leicester. "

Selling these for £995 and will fit the kit for an extra £50 with fresh brake fluid being flushed through your brake system.

Mine will be finished in red and retain the TVR logo- but not picked out in any colour.

Last edited:

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
The pads are DS2500's and are no doubt pricier than standard- but all upgrade brakes cost and these compare very well with some of the really pricey ones- and one stop just short of a hard object may well repay their cost many times!!

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
Fitting booked for Saturday! Thinking of DS2500's on the rear as well- anyone know a source for them for standard Fr rear disks/calipers?

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
:clap:
They are on and they are as good as I hoped- although after only 90 miles they are still a little green to assess their ultimate performance- so far they are squeal free, smooth and very positive. I am looking forward to a dry road test but they are clearly more powerful than standard FR/Gti brakes already. They look good as well. The saving in weight-unsprung weight is clear too. The calipers save around 3kg per side and the o/e discs are heavier -by a fair bit- than their two piece alloy bell and steel rotor replacements. 335s for less weight than 312s!! All the alloy bits are anodised against corrosion and the bleed nipples and fixings are stainless. All for £1025 fitted including longer wheel bolts and braided lines!!:D

Before o/e 312s and pig iron calipers
IMG_0893.jpg

Very shiny bracket
IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

DS2500's and shiny fitting kit
IMG_0900.jpg

335 rotor and anodised bell machined to amount to a 7mm spacer to clear my 17"s
IMG_0909-1.jpg

Calipers at under 3kg- standards more than scales would take at least 7kg?
IMG_0897.jpg

On and road ready the stainless braided lines are anthracite plastic coated so no photo bling.
IMG_0911-1.jpg

Last edited:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Told £100 rotors, £80 pads- not so bad??

£100 rotors? are they 330x30mm like mine? mine were £300 a pair for copies from HiSpec and £600 for AP ones.

My pads are £220 (DS2500) but they are overpriced for some reason and everyone knows it... maybe they dont sell many.

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
My supplier told me the rotors are 335 compbrake at around £100 and the pads are about £100 but he can get them at £80.
The AP quoted caliperweight is 2.8kg. Standard Fr calipers- with pads are 6.6kg and standard discs are 8.6kg Total weight saving is at least 4.6kgs per side- and the braking is immense after only 100 miles and without having tried maximum effort stopping -so far on damp roads and without full on effort they are clearly better than O/E.

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
These are now fully bedded in and are simply great- smooth and fine around town and inclined to fool me by making familiar roundabouts unfamiliar- the braking points I would ordinarily use leave me a long way short of turning in! I am still finding out how much later I can comfortably brake!!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
My supplier told me the rotors are 335 compbrake at around £100 and the pads are about £100 but he can get them at £80.
The AP quoted caliperweight is 2.8kg. Standard Fr calipers- with pads are 6.6kg and standard discs are 8.6kg Total weight saving is at least 4.6kgs per side- and the braking is immense after only 100 miles and without having tried maximum effort stopping -so far on damp roads and without full on effort they are clearly better than O/E.

not £100/rotor in that size fella retail and dont forget the rotor to bell mounting bolts when replacing

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.