Are Induction Heatshields really worth it? Anyone got logs?

J0N

Defected!
Pictures shamelessly borrowed from Markojay, thanks.

4285044676_0174be1eb0.jpg

4284300283_8f8e354c7b.jpg

I really like the Jabbasport heatshields and one would be perfect for my setup but I cant help thinking that it would be very similar to having a standard airbox if it goes upto the bonnet like this one appears to. This would surely compromise airflow and defeat the object of having an open cone.

My setup is pictured below and the Jabbasport heatshield would be much better than say the Neuspeed one. I have logs to prove that my airflow went up from 194.17g/s with a smoothed airbox and Green Cotton Panel Filter to 202g/s with a Jetex Cone and that's without any other changes.

DSC01640.jpg

Now I'm up to 209.14g/s with some other bits fixed and I dont want to stifle this. My filter is as close to the wing as I can get it so is in the airflow and away from the heat source.
Has any one got any 'with and without' logs for intake temps and airflow to see if the advantage out weighs the disadvantage?

Cheers. :)

Last edited:

JamJay

California Bound
I am wondering what little bits you fixed to increase from 202 to 209g/s?

I still need to do logs with the JETEX actually to compare to the Neuspeed filter, I hope for a dry weekend. The Neuspeed gave 207g/s with shield but no spacer to bring it further to the wing.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I really like the Jabbasport heatshields and one would be perfect for my setup but I cant help thinking that it would be very similar to having a standard airbox if it goes upto the bonnet like this one appears to. This would surely compromise airflow and defeat the object of having an open cone.

Which is the lesser of the evils? Engine bay heat being sucked in to the filter and raising inlet temps a bit, or cutting off some of the supply of fresh air to the filter.

I may be wrong as I've never had one, but the very high performance turbocharged Jap cars seem to logically place the filter in the bay under an intake scoop so it has pretty unrestricted cold free flowing air.

The VAG appraoch where our cars have both headlights in place, no extreme fish gills and a pretty standard layout mean we are faced with one of the two issues above (unless you can get a good airflow through an inner wing or lower bumper aperture assisted by a flexi hose to direct flow.

Air filters on tubby cars supposedly need to be able to breath in air as hard (based on the surface area of the media etc..) as they can, so you have to assume any enclosure of heat shielding must affect flow.

I'm thinking of trying to route some direct air ducting pipe into mine, but then when feeding from behind the front fog you worry about water ingress. Can of worms!?!

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
I can't see from the pics but does the Jabba shield have no inlet for a cold air feed at all?

Yes it has a cutout for the wing inlet pipe. Even though its not a tight fit you can hear the bonnet becoming part of the seal. Its a good well made shield.

As to the effectiveness, its hard to say. Cleaner air? If you saved 1 or 2 degrees with a shield would it still translate to 1 or 2 degrees after that air has been through the turbo/coolers?

J0N

Defected!
Which is the lesser of the evils?

My point exactly. Is my airfilter that susceptible to heat in the position it's in? I plan a CAI when the weather picks up anyway. I just think that if your going to box it in there's not a lot of point having an open cone that draws it's air from all directions.

Personally, I think they're a waste of time.

I'm beginning to agree.

mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts
I agree with DPJ think they are a waste of time to be honest.
Basically you are making it into an enlosed filter, like a BMC CDA, and I personally found a major difference in flow rate between this and an open filter, with good air feed, in favour of the open filter.

Different kettle of fish if running one on an N/A engine though IMO......

Deleted member 20376

Any chance of logging with and without the Neuspeed heat shield, Jamjay? I know your filter is in a similar position to mine.

would this account for the BMC cda kits.

the carbon is suppose to keep the air cool and this kit is fully closed from the airfeed pipe where ever you decide to put it. the only difference is its not sucking air from all directions just from the front.

what is the heatshield made of plastic/metal. the pics look plastic but them i seen pics of the neuspeed one and is metal. thought metal would only attrack the hot air.
would be intresting to see the logs.

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
I think the jabbasport h/s has a hole bottom right as you look at it from the front of the car. I think with a decent cold air feed as stated above from a good location can only be good, right? An open cone draws in air from all directions, yes, but whats the point if half of that air is hot? Personally i would think that less air that is cooler is better than more air that is hotter

Deleted member 20376

ive also noticed that alot of the big jap cars had induction kits on but majoirty of them are placed in a car source. has anybody tried the KnN typhoon kit i think its called forge do one 2 where it sits behind your fog light vent with a long piping on it. that would be a good cold air source but then would the long piping cause soak the heat as i think there metal.

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
I'd also like to see logs, and also sway towards thinking it's a bit of a waste of time on a turbo'd car... Like I've said before, when sitting in traffic where the entire engine bay heats right up, there is still plenty of power there when the open cone is blatently sucking in red hot air... give it a few seconds for the intercoolers to get some air flowing to them and theres nowhere near as much lag as there is in an NA car thats been sat getting warm.

Like traumapat said, lowering intake temps very slightly is unlikely to translate to much, if anything post turbo + intercooler. Infact, I suppose thinking about it, trying to get as much cold air as possible to the intercoolers would surely be more beneficial than worrying about CAFs for the air filters?

Ben

J0N

Defected!
Have we all been brainwashed into thinking that open cone filters give us heatsoak in the same way that many think K&N filters damage MAF's because they're oily? Myth perhaps? Also looking back through my logs I see that the max intake temp with my smoothed aibox/green cotton setup was 42 degrees and with my Jetex setup before I moved it closer to the wing was only 34 degrees. However the first log was taken on the 21st Oct and the second on 15th Nov and I've no idea what the ambient temp was on these dates. It's also worth noting that much of the heat source is from the turbo which the air is fed straight back into so a couple of degrees surely won't make much of a difference in the real world. As mentioned above, it's intercoolers that make the real difference with air density.

Backdraft

I personally dont see the point in heatshields for filters. Even if the air getting to the filter is a tiny bit warm, it gets loads hotter when it goes through the turbo, then cooled down again by the intercooler.

The more available air the better.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
I personally dont see the point in heat shields for filters. Even if the air getting to the filter is a tiny bit warm, it gets loads hotter when it goes through the turbo, then cooled down again by the intercooler.

The more available air the better.

So how effective is the cold air feeds then? I was thinking yesterday when i read this thread, how much difference does it make how cold the air is when it goes into the turbo and does it, how ever cold it is when it went through the turbo arrive at the intercooler around the same temp, i can see how on a N/A car the colder the air is the better as it goes straight into the engine, but with turbo cars it gets heated by the turbo, so is it down to how good the intercooler is to how cool the air is when it goes into the engine.
Discuss.....:whistle:

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
well its like sum evos and scoobs have ic spray which is cold water forced on to the intercoolers so if thats good for them do you think it would be good for ours:shrug:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise