Are there any Common gearbox issues with leon mk1 cupra?

Essexcupra

Jul 21, 2009
Romford, Essex
Hi all, done a search and couldnt find anything that i needed to know.

So my question is this, I want to put an uprated black diamond clutch in mine but a mate told me the vw/seat/audi early gearboxs are prone to faults. He has a VW bora 1.6 sr and he put a black diamond in his and it then ripped the gearbox to pieces...it apparently couldnt take it. Does anyone know of any problems with the mk1 leon cupra??

Any help much appreciated.

James

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
Not that I've heard of. Many people on here are running uprated clutches with no probs with gearbox. I'm sure someone will be along with more info

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
Mine had a problem with the bearings on 3rd, when you went down the box it gave a bit of a whine and yelp!, the box got reconed and all is now good:D

Fergal84

Aug 23, 2007
Mine had a problem with the bearings on 3rd, when you went down the box it gave a bit of a whine and yelp!, the box got reconed and all is now good:D

Mines doing that at the moment, do you mind me asking how much it was to get sorted and who did it? cheers :)

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
Mines doing that at the moment, do you mind me asking how much it was to get sorted and who did it? cheers :)

Hi
I brought mine form a dealer in Sunderland, they delivered it like it then picked it up and did it as part of the i'm not happy syndrome, they had the car up there for a good 2 weeks, but had no idea of the cost as it was covered by the supplying dealer.

Jon

woodlehouse

Mar 1, 2008
billingham
dont compare cupra boxes to the 1.6 vw / skoda stuff , they are weak boxes , same as the sdi octavias , its just a rework of the old mk3 gti gearbox that was weak as cheese.

the 6 speed boxes seem to be made of better quality stuff & no probs that ive come across .

May 13, 2007
Denmark
Some people are having gear crunch from 2-3gear with high rev shifts. Including myself, changing the oil to redline mt-90 fixed it in my chase.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.