Attention all 20v t owners! Help please?

May 29, 2008
Aberdeenshire
They say it comes in 3's?! Top mount bearing, anti roll bar bushes....and last night...over heating! :(

Right......driving home lastnight driving sensisbly minding my own business my car let of a beep noise, thinking it was the low fuel beep, looking down the temp gauge was through the roof and the red light was flashing!

Call the AA straight away, he ruled out water pump failure, head gasket, he jumped into the car and he noticed that the heaters were blowing stone cold! he straight away said....Thermostat!

You reckon he is right? anyone had/heard of the same or simlar problems?

Price of a new thermo isnt much so im going to put a new one in.....but any sugestions would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks

Andy

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Yep, if the thermostat gets stuck shut no water will flow to the radiator and heater matrix to be cooled. this will cause the water in the engine water jacket to get very hot and and give the exact simptoms you discribe.

EB20VT

Feb 5, 2005
West Yorkshire
You say the AA man said it wasn't the water pump but i had very similar symptoms only last week and my water pump was fooked. I see your car is a 55 plate so coming up to 4 year old, its about the right time for the water pump to fail. I managed 4 and half years and 58k miles before it gave up the ghost.

May 29, 2008
Aberdeenshire
@ Nath.....this is what the AA guy said, but my knowledge of cars ranges from fitting a new magic to changing a light bulb....going to phone the stealers and see if they have a thermo in stock!.....bit tight to get at the thermo aint it?!

@ mhill.....well fingers crossed fixing it will cure the symtoms!

@ Eb20VT....Are there any symtoms which would make u think it is the water pump? i opened the colant resevoir with the engine and there was a steady flow! wasnt till the mechanic got in the car and the heaters were blowing cold! well mines is a 55 reg with 38k on the clock.....its booked into the garage to get the belts and pump done at 40k.....might end up being a bit sooner! :(

Thanks for all your helps guys....any other suggestions or experiences would be great...other wise i will report back tommoro if i can get the new thermo in!

EB20VT

Feb 5, 2005
West Yorkshire
The symptoms you describe are very similar to what i had thats why i said waterpump. If it only has 38k on the clock though it might not be, mine was just the right age and mileage for pump failure.

Have you driven the car since? I only noticed mine overheating whilst under load when the temp gauge went mental and shot from 90 -130 degrees. Not good when i was taking my parents to the airport:blink:

May 29, 2008
Aberdeenshire
The symptoms you describe are very similar to what i had thats why i said waterpump. If it only has 38k on the clock though it might not be, mine was just the right age and mileage for pump failure.

Have you driven the car since? I only noticed mine overheating whilst under load when the temp gauge went mental and shot from 90 -130 degrees. Not good when i was taking my parents to the airport:blink:

Thats what made me think...dont they recomend the pump and belts to get changed at 40K? so it could be that? going to fix the thermo today and see if that does anything! not driven the car, dont want to do any further damage!

ha ha well i was coming home from taking a female friend out to the cinema.....getting dropped off at hers with my car being towed by the AA!? Banter! lol Least i saved some fuel on the way home ;)

EB20VT

Feb 5, 2005
West Yorkshire
Well VW used to say change pump and belt at 5 years or 60k, but after a few premature failures they changed it to 4 year or 60k.

May 29, 2008
Aberdeenshire
just a shame my cars warranty has just run out a couple months ago! :(

Ill let u know what me and my mate finds tonight! going to get a price for the water pump etc when im up there at lunch!

Thanks for ur help! :)

May 29, 2008
Aberdeenshire
Got the car looked at lastnight.....changed the thermostat over! what a pig of a job! lol
well the conclusion is......water pump failure @ 38k miles!

Got a price from my local seat dealer, £397 fitted!! the parts are only £150ish (thats for the full belt and tensioners etc)

Average price?? or should i look about?

Thanks for everyones help and sugestions!

EB20VT

Feb 5, 2005
West Yorkshire
Bad luck mate. That price seems about right from the dealers, you'll probably get it cheaper if you can find a good independent garage. The other thing you could try is to ask if your dealer can change it as a gesture of good will as it is only just out of warrenty, its a long shot but it might work. 38k is very poor for a water pump!

May 29, 2008
Aberdeenshire
Bad luck mate. That price seems about right from the dealers, you'll probably get it cheaper if you can find a good independent garage. The other thing you could try is to ask if your dealer can change it as a gesture of good will as it is only just out of warrenty, its a long shot but it might work. 38k is very poor for a water pump!

Never thought about doing that...at the end of the day its 3 years old and 38K might give it a try!

Will report back with there response ha ha

May 29, 2008
Aberdeenshire
just an update for you.......the car is back on the road!
turned out to be the water pump in the end, so had the that, timing belt and the tensioners done at the same time!

did try getting it done through seat considering the car is below the recomended millage and age, but they were only going to look at the pump so i decided against that in the end!

Thanks again everyone! :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise