Audi RNS-E fitted to Leon Cupra R - Opinions?

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
Hey Guys,

What do you think?

DSC000482.JPG

Saw one of these fitted to an Audi A3 a few months ago, and been doing a bit of digging.. didnt find anything, but someone did email me some pictures completley out of the blue. of it fitted to a LCR. Hes painted the lower silver trim red, to match up with the red vent stickers.

For anyone who hasnt seen it, this is by no means an easy fit, and is not plug and play. Fitting to a current generation VAG car requires adaptors and tapping into other wires, and is five times more complicated if you have the existing navigation. And the nav facia needs trimming which doesnt leave much margin for error. So i dont imagine fitting to a previous generation VAG to be a walk in the park... as i cannot find an installation guides, only into current A4's and A3's.

I currently have an Pioneer AVIC-X1R fitted, which i really like, (apart from its aftermarket look when its not out. And it feels a little outdated in terms of graphics compared to modern tom toms and garmin products.

Sorry if this has been touched on or posted before, (to be honest i didnt look)

Rob

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
Yeah you would need the navigation unit (has to be from an Audi A6, as the A3 has curved edges) and i think you can pick an EU one up, not USA for around £600, the double din leon adaptor (which i think is closer to £250?) and because the facia is too big on the navigation unit, it needs to be cut with a dremel. (which i dont like the sound of)

The wiring looks somewhat complicated too. Waiting to here back from the guy that did the above install to see whats involved wiring wise.

It looks really well suited there though.

Might sell my AVIC-X1R and get one of these. Think they look the business but the screen cannot be angled like it can be on the previous generation RNS... the X1R screen sits higher, just over the indicotr button so isnt too far out the way. But this sits a bit out of your line of sight.

Rob

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
The RNS-E is an excellent unit (have one in my new A4), if you can get it working I'd go for it. DVD 3D mapping + 2 SD slots for MP3 playback. I have a good contact from one of the Audi forums who fits them if you want any info...

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
So you like my install...
Well, it is not easy to make it happen but as you can see it is possible. No adapters needed, just the hartness to the RNS-E. That is not a double din, just dremmeled the **** of the din that is originally mounted. If you want to have the original look go with the RNS-E. But the Pioneer AVIC-X1R is better and gives you more for the money paid to do this install. I am happy with the RNS-E and it's bluetooth possibility integrated.
Good luck.

Last edited:

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
its not too bad.. it covers them up a bit at the bottom.

I think it would work better with the double din centre console though, its a bit loose and i cant get that front bezel on. And i couldnt find anywhere good for the hide away unit, so would get kicked by rear passangers.

Pioneer also do a kit to mount it slightly further in the dashboard. i dont know what its like....

also theres a new DVD disc just been released (its purple/pink) but dont know what features it would add.

You got the X1R?

Rob

capbarbaruiva

POPOV said:
So you like my install...
Well, it is not easy to make it happen but as you can see it is possible. No adapters needed, just the hartness to the RNS-E. That is not a double din, just dremmeled the **** of the din that is originally mounted. If you want to have the original look go with the RNS-E. But the Pioneer AVIC-X1R is better and gives you more for the money paid to do this install. I am happy with the RNS-E and it's bluetooth possibility integrated.
Good luck.

Hi Popov,

are you still around?

I would like some information from your install, is it possible?

Regards,
Cap

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.