Auto closing windows done with serial VAG-COM!

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I am well chuffed with myself, I've managed to decipher all the posts about closing the windows with the remote, and get it set up on my car! So now if I hold the lock button down on the remote, the doors lock and the windows go up, and the other way round if I hold the unlock button down!! No need for autowindows, or the KVW100 module, just a serial VAG-COM lead.

The two threads that helped me out are these;

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=151041

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93787&page=4

On one of the posts there is a link to a bootable CD containing DOS and a suitably set up version of VDS-PRO, although it's small enough to stick in an email. Because it works in DOS, you CANNOT use a USB VAG-COM lead of any form. It HAS to be a direct serial connection. Trust me, I've looked at all sorts of options!

The next stage is the worrying part, and subtly changes depending on the age of the car. On this post;

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1443412&postcount=12

Is a list of the memory values that need to be changed, depending on what unit you have. My 2001 Toledo V5 has the 1J0 959 799 AJ unit, which meant I needed to use the top block of values.

BUT, there is one thing that I had to put together. The old values they refer to are probably not the same ones you will find when you read the values. It is important that you write down your own old values, and use them to start with.

Now the horrible bit. Update them, based on the following rules;

1. If you have a 1J0 unit, then the addresses starting 042 need to be set to 2, regardless of the old values. These addresses turn the feature on or off.
2. All of the other values for the 1J0 units need to be increased by 4, based on whatever was there before. Each address corresponds to a single window, so you don't have to do all four.
3. All of the values for the 1C0 units need to be decreased by 8, based on whatever was there before.

Trust me, using a DOS program to alter EEPROM values is really scary, you don't get a second chance with ANY of it! If you enter the memory address wrong and accidentally press enter, it WILL change that value to zero! So be really careful, and double check EVERYTHING!!

Thanks to all the people who did the original work, I'm not doing anything new here I'm just reusing their information.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Does this work with third-party serial leads? I quite fancy doing this, and I've tracked down a laptop at work with a genuine serial port so on that side I'm fine, but I already have a USB Ross-Tech lead so not interested in buying another one with serial just for this, might as well buy the proper KVW module...

I picked up a serial VAG-COM lead on an ebay auction. It cost me £6 for that lead and another USB lead, so I figured I'd sell the two USB leads for a fiver each and offset the cost!

If you're interested I'm working in Derby for the next couple of weeks (near to Pride Park), I'd be happy to meet you somewhere and get your car sorted with my lead? Should only take ten minutes or so.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I'm normally Wolverhampton based, so I'm only in Derby for weekdays until about 5. Where do you work?

Twin2189, I'd be happy to sort this out for you. The best bet is to get yourself to the p-torque rolling road day on the 13th, I'll have my laptop with me and we can sort it then. And you can get your car on the rollers if you fancy it!

S17EW O

I must admit I'm not clued up on this. I have an lcr. I live in telford. If I came and met you in wolvo would you have everything needed to do this to my front windows. If you would when would b good for you and how much would u want?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Sure, it can be sorted. I've already done one Cupra and it worked fine. The only thing is that the codes for the LCR come as a set of three that do all four windows, I've not yet looked into only doing two windows.

Towards the end of next week should be fine, send me a pm if that sounds ok. Alternatively, come to the rolling road day on Saturday and you can get your windows done and your car rolling roaded at the same time! :)

rudgey

Mk2 Leon TFSI Sport '06
Jul 2, 2008
near Midland VW ;)
Why can't you just do this with the usb lead and vag com? I'm asking because i tried with the usb (official ross tech) and it didn't work in my mk2 leon (guessing i don't have the right module) and your post implies that you can get it working sonny jim!! It would seriously kick arse if you could!!!

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Near Philadelphia, PA, USA
The reason is that actually VAGCOM can't do it. Slimy has an older DOS program called VDS-Pro, which does the same sort of thing as VAGCOM does but on a much lower level (for example, where VAGCOM offers you the "coding helper" and tells you what digits to change for what effect, VDS-Pro just leaves you with a list of numbers and no explanation of what means what). It's more powerful and more dangerous as it's easier to **** something up, which I guess is why RossTech haven't added the features. Because it's DOS and can only run in pure DOS mode (not just a command prompt) it has to be serial as DOS doesn't know what USB is, it's a too new technology.

I'm sure if they wanted to do it, they could emulate VDS-Pro more thoroughly and add this but it would lead to a lot of bricked ECUs by people not taking enough care IMO.

:thumbup::thumbup::D

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
It's more powerful and more dangerous as it's easier to **** something up, ...

I'm sure if they wanted to do it, they could emulate VDS-Pro more thoroughly and add this but it would lead to a lot of bricked ECUs by people not taking enough care IMO.

Too frickin' right, I managed to accidentally update a value with 0 instead of 2, and that was scary even though it was my car! I make sure I'm extra careful now...

Rudgey, I live in featherstone, WV10. Is that close enough to South Staffs for you? ;)

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Yeah, should be able to sort you out. Send me a PM and I'm sure we can get something arranged for next week.

Keep an eye out for a Black V5 Toledo on Leon 17's, with what is probably at least six inches clearance to the arches. At least until I convince the missus that coilovers are a good idea...

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Iv downloaded VDS PRO, but the file does not contain VDS.bat when looking at the folder in windows?
does this come avilable in ms dos mode?

The bootable disc I use (and I think what I linked to) shows up completely blank in Windows, however it is a bootable disc.

sjolliff

Vag-Com, West Yorkshire?
Mar 21, 2010
Halifax, West Yorkshire
Cheers, tried looking into a CD bootable disk for MS-DOS, but struggling to do it.
Im wanting an old laptop, and cable, plus software etc to this for my cousin plus in the future for people

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise