Battery Relocation Advise Needed

rikwheeler

Apr 23, 2006
Lincoln
www.rikwheeler.com
Hi guys,

I've read a few threads now about relocating the battery to the spare wheel well and just want some more advise.

Believe I will need the following:

1. A battery tray:
RobDon and a few other people have gone for this one: http://alloyracingfabrications.com/product.php?id=43 so have decided to go for this as well

2. Cables:
Does this look like an alright kit to get?: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-Gauge-4AWG-...es_Terminals_Cabling_ET?hash=item330329316056
The cable seems very thin. Is this the correct type of cable to get? Believe the majority of people go for 4 AWG cable?
If you would not recommend that kit then where can I get the cables from? Looking for 5 meters of red cable and 1 meter of black cable.

3. Terminals:
Would this be alright?:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-BATTERY-T...QQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item220415822695

4. Distribution block. Is this used to split the cable from the battery so that one cable goes to the starter motor and another one goes to the fuse box where everything else is connected to?
If so, would I need a block with 4 AWG in and 2 x 4 AWG out? Where can I get one from?

5. What other bolts will I need? I will need bolts to bolt the battery tray to the chassis and one for the negative cable but are there any other ones I will need?
Can someone tell me what type of bolts I need and where I can get them from.

Is there anything else I am forgetting? When I drill the holes on the chassis do I need to treat the holes so they don't rust?

Any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
I did it a few years back with a Golf and I just used as you said - 4 AWG from the boot to the engine bay and then split it through a dissy block to 8 AWG off to the needed locations. Worked fine! All I would recommend doing is putting a safety cut off terminal block on the battery end just in case.
As for the fixing of the battery, I just bolted an old battery tray down to the boot floor and had a stainless steel box made to fit over the top of it. Wasn't the easiest of things to do, but wasn't what I'd call difficult either and certainly worth it!

rikwheeler

Apr 23, 2006
Lincoln
www.rikwheeler.com
Well I've order the alloy battery tray now.
Been to a couple of auto electrical companies and they both said all I need to go it run some welding cable from the battery straight to the starter motor and then a cable from the starter motor to my fuse box. They said no distribution block or circuit breaker/fuse is needed.
Does that sound right?
They also said I might have problems starting the car in the winter if I just attach the negative cable to the chasis of the car. Does anyone else agree with this?

rikwheeler

Apr 23, 2006
Lincoln
www.rikwheeler.com
Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Sorry to dig this up but have you done it paul? Im thinking of doing it then basically just joining it to the + termial inside the black cable tidy thingey jiggy on the passenger side and mounting the battery fuse box out of sight. Then modify some pipe work and fit a nice big filter :D

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Sorry to dig this up but have you done it paul? Im thinking of doing it then basically just joining it to the + termial inside the black cable tidy thingey jiggy on the passenger side and mounting the battery fuse box out of sight. Then modify some pipe work and fit a nice big filter :D
Me too

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K

Im going to try some 4 guage i got, proper high quality cable, cost 100 odd quid, and see if theres much of a voltage drop. Some mercs have the battery in the boot and use shite cable i found and they dont suffer, also jump starts will be alot easyer :cartman:

Need some nice gold connectors, and some 4 or 0 guage earth :)

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
I've done the shaunyboy:
7120_272526020396_618605396_8644430.jpg

you kind of get an idea of the size of my filter!! 304mm long, 140mm-120mm taper. 100mm inlet.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Going to try it on sunday and will report with pics on how it goes, im feeling a strip out so i can clean everytihng and store the parts in my bedroom aslong as there clean :).

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
Best bay pic i've got, you can see i've just cable tied the fuses out of the way, cone filter runs over the top of them anyway.
017.jpg

Pic of my boot in a temporary status. The battery is now fully bolted down in that location (my boot floor is 4x2 with 18mm mdf ontop so it is just bolted to that.) and I have built a box around it. The whole thing is fully carpeted so it looks a lot better now!!
014.jpg

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
Front already has an earth, rear I drilled a hole in the spare wheel well, rubbed down the paint and earthed there.