??Bi-Xenon self test Question??

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Evening Guys just picked up my FR:D

Got a question re the Xenons. On the Cupra I tested, when I turned the lights on they did a sort of 'self test', moved left, right, up and down. I've just turned mine on and they dont appear to do it :shrug: and yes I am sure they are Xenons :p

Any ideas?

thanks all

Rob

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
They should always .....

Go down together
Go out sideways together
Come back in together
Go up to the correct level together

Mine do this every single time i turn them on.

You will only notice this in the dark, when you are stationary.

Edit to add - when i say always, i mean always the first time that you turn them on per ignition start. I.e. if the engine is on if you turn the lights off and on again, they wont go through the test cycle the second time on.

matthewbentham

Cupra averaged 41mpg once
it also depends on how often the car is used and what level it parked on. I do no more than 6000 miles per year so they'll probably do more self test's.

I find with my Xenon lights, that they seem to point down at the road a bit too much. is there anyway to adjust them a bit higher? i do not have vag-com

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
it also depends on how often the car is used and what level it parked on. I do no more than 6000 miles per year so they'll probably do more self test's.

I find with my Xenon lights, that they seem to point down at the road a bit too much. is there anyway to adjust them a bit higher? i do not have vag-com

they have to do a self test each time because a) they need to check they have full movement and b) incase the weight distribution has changed (i.e. stuff in the boot, people in the back seat, caravan attached etc.etc.)

As for where they point, I agree, they are too low, I'd prefer just a couple of degrees higher.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Thanks for replies fellas. I'll take another look later, and let you know how i get on.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Well just went for a drive in the dark and no self test and the lights dont appear to turn when you turn corners. Looks like its back to the dealers :(

Has any one else had this prob?

Cheers

Rob

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
i thought if it didnt manage to get through the self test with full range of movement it threw up a fault.

Last edited:

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Hi Rampage, Chris,

Yes I have got headlight washers, and no I havent got a message on the MFD.

Looks like a trip to the dealers, 200 mile round trip:(

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Hi Tam

I'll post picks asap. They are 100% xenons :) they seem to work ok although perhaps slightly low, just no self test and no movement when turning. Do you think it could just be a VAG COM fix?

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Do you have the headlight height adjust switch next to the main headlight switch? :p

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Here we go guys a quick pic, excuse quality and size. Guess what when i was taking them they moved:p very odd hopefully they are ok.

DSC00131-1.jpg

Thanks for help all help and comments much appreciated.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.