Big backfire then 16712 - Knock Sensor signal too high

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Yesterday, on the way out of work, car still cold, accelerating from 30 to 40 (so not hard, but using some boost) I had what I assume was a huge misfire followed by a huge backfire.

It was a sudden total loss of power (didn't feel like one cylinder, felt like all of them) that lasted less than a second (I managed to get to the "F" in "WTF"), followed by a huge whoosy pop that seemed to come from the airbox area (thought a pipe had bown off), followed by the eggy smell.

Car ran fine afterwards (perhaps even a bit better).

vag-com says 16712 - Knock Sensor 1 (G61): Signal too High : P0328

Is it true that the Knock sensors are basically microphones; so the big pop as it cleared it's throat could've been what gave the fault?

Jonzy

The knock sensors only listen for specific frequencies. Sounds like a coilpack had a fit.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Just vag-com'd and the fault was up again (but no misfire this time).

Do I have a knock sensor on the way out (if so which one? The fault code says "Knock Sensor 1"), or is it just picking up excessive timing advance?

Jonzy

Have you logged the car to check the timing, not just the fault codes.

I belive the knock sensors on the 20vt are under the inlet manifold. I havent got my laptop to check. Not sure if both the sensors are the same and have the same plugs but you could prob switch them and check the fault codes?

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Not very recently, logged timing, no - a couple of weeks ago it was fine - with perhaps one cyclinder pulling a fair bit more; which according to some reading I was doing last night suggests the kock sensor's going.

Car feels fine (but then, I've had fairly big boost leaks and it's felt "fine"), so I'll keep my eye on it for now.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Hmmm, missing this morning but only when cold - once it got right up to temperature it was fine.

So, coilpack, sparkplug or lead?

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I suddenly thought that after I'd posted - it was a 60k service, I don't know if they're changed at 60k??

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
Mine's up for its 60k next and thinking about getting water pump done which means CAM belt aswell as its off, the only problem SEAT will only replace with plastic one again... mmm..

Could be quite expensive, 60k service + water pump + CAM belt + brakes no doubt ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.