Big servicing repair bill - adviced needed

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
Hi all

I just put my LC in for it's 40k fourth service (my car has done 25k). When I got the car back I got the additional work advice quote which highlighted all the things with the car. To say I was shocked was an understatement! :cry: :cry: :cry: I don't thrash the car or anything this is why I'm so shocked.

If I have everything done the bill will be about £1,000. Now I've never been one to skimp when servicing and trying to look after the car so I'm trying to get some advice from you guys to give me a pointer on what items you think I should get done from a safety/ maintenance point of view (see below).

1. Font brakes require stripped and cleaned - £45.

2. Rear discs lipped and corroded - new discs and pads £154.

3. Rear indicator bulbs show white - £8

4. NSF fog light cracked - £125.

5. Rear wiper smearing - £8 new wiper.

6. Brake fluid service - £40.

7. Aircon service due - £89.

8. OSF wishbone bush starting to split - £100.

9. Geometry check after wish bone bush - £90. What is this anyway? is it a more sophisticated form of tracking?

10. Timing belt and tensioner due to be replaced £290. :confused: :confused: Correct me if I'm wrong guys but I didn't think this was due to much later?

11. Exhaust centre and back box brackets broken. Now apparently they don’t sell the brackets and I would need a new exhaust :wtf: Although they didn’t price the exhaust.

What do you think? What should I get done? I was thinking

1. Timing belt.
2. Brakes.
3. Wishbone.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
this is my opinion, get every thing expect the cambelt and tensioner (oil change). done by seat. as its get stamped in the book.

The rest try doin you self such as pads, bulbs. The others by local garage.
This works cheapers and cost ALOT LESS!

TINCAN

Mar 27, 2006
MK
timing belt too early in my opinion... thing is you had a 40k service to early too... why that?

I would get someone else to check those things out.... but definately leave the timing belt until around 60k ish at least...

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
Obviously the brakes have to be done and should be done for safety.

The bulb go to halfords and do yourself.

NSF fog light get one from a scrappy and do it yourself (or keep an eye on here)

Wiper: either go to halfords and get a bosch blade or wait and save for a touran/fabia rear aero wiper.

Aircon service could leave this for the time being as not major.

Bushes - check and perhaps go for aftermarket bushes when being done (not sure whats the best as not got an LC/R)

Timing belt should be 60k iirc or 4 years. Make sure they do the water tank if your having it done and may get it done cheaper in a small indepentdent. Is this a main dealer?

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
Yes it's a main dealer. I'm thinking local garage route too.

I was surprised at the timing belt chage as well. They tell me Seat has revised the interval down to the sooner of 4 years and 40k miles.

I've never known one to have snapped early. Anyone elese?

cmc

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
some fog lights on ebay at the mo iircs
replacing rear brakes id get them from a motorfactor and go to an independant garage who will charge you around an hour for labour

surprises me abt 40k with timing belt, i had my 40k last month and was no mention of this

bulbs, aircon service-forget them until MOT time, even then do aircon before summer

wishbone bush, as said search for an uprated set

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Its not done 40k, its the fact its 4 years old. If the average mileage a year is 12-15k, then 4 years old would put it at 50-60k miles. But as this car obviously doesn't do the miles, it has reached the 4 years milestone first.

Steve_B

Stacy mmmm.......
May 6, 2005
West Yorkshire
You can get the exhaust brakets as single parts. Mine failed the MOT because the rear one was broken and a replacement braket was ordered, no need for the whole exhaust.

As others have said I'd get the parts from GSF or ECP and get a local garage to change them if you're not happy to do it yourself.

The bulb and wiper is a 5 min swap if you get the bits from halfrauds, £5 for parts is much less than £16 you've been quoted.

If the air con service is just the bacterial clean then you can get a can of comma air con cleaner from halfrauds for around £11. Takes 30 mins of running the car with the can spraying in the car. Did mine last summer aftetr I was quoted £40 by the dealer, did it while I washed the car, had a lemon fresh air con system afterwards :D

BEOWULF

I am BEOWULF !!!
Mar 18, 2006
I AM IN FRONT OF YOU
tell ya the truth don't let seat touch ya car get a independent garage to do the work they will stamp ya book anyway and as long as ya book is stamped and u have the work done or cares if it is a seat stamp or not
i have had done on my car
front wishbones both sides
front discs and omp brake pads
rear brakes pads
2 anti roll bar links
new cv boot
oil change
brake fluid renewed
new plugs
new pollen filter
done to my motor
and its just cost me a little over £300 notes
and he throw in a free air freshener lol

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Hi all

I just put my LC in for it's 40k fourth service (my car has done 25k). When I got the car back I got the additional work advice quote which highlighted all the things with the car. To say I was shocked was an understatement! :cry: :cry: :cry: I don't thrash the car or anything this is why I'm so shocked.

If I have everything done the bill will be about £1,000. Now I've never been one to skimp when servicing and trying to look after the car so I'm trying to get some advice from you guys to give me a pointer on what items you think I should get done from a safety/ maintenance point of view (see below).

9. Geometry check after wish bone bush - £90. What is this anyway? is it a more sophisticated form of tracking?

10. Timing belt and tensioner due to be replaced £290. :confused: :confused: Correct me if I'm wrong guys but I didn't think this was due to much later?

11. Exhaust centre and back box brackets broken. Now apparently they don’t sell the brackets and I would need a new exhaust :wtf: Although they didn’t price the exhaust.

What do you think? What should I get done? I was thinking

1. Timing belt.
2. Brakes.
3. Wishbone.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers

This is what I would do mate, that dealer sound like bullshiters!

A. Just blast them with a power washer to clean them, did this to mine this weekend with the wheels on and the black water that came out was amazing, plus this has cured my squeaky brakes :) make sure the disks are cool though, best done b4 using the car.

A. Get a VAG Indi to confirm, if so order parts your self and get Indi to fit.

A. as said DIY, will cost pence.

A. As said DIY, check eBay.

A. check eBay, or go the Fabia rear wiper (see current thread in Leon section)

A. Get a VAG Indi to confirm, and get Indi to fit.

A. Can wait until next May/June if indeed it needs doing, did it not keep you cool last summer?

Get a VAG Indi to confirm, if so order parts your self and get Indi to fit.

A. Find a decent place that does full 4 wheel alignment.

10. Timing belt and tensioner due to be replaced £290. Correct me if I'm wrong guys but I didn't think this was due to much later?

A. Call Seat UK and check this out, if they have indeed changed this interval then order parts your self and get VAG Indi to fit.

11. Exhaust centre and back box brackets broken. Now apparently they don’t sell the brackets and I would need a new exhaust, Although they didn’t price the exhaust.

A. No Exhaust brackets would require a new Exhaust otherwise they would not be brackets would they! so order parts your self and get VAG Indi to fit.

Let us know what Seat say about the Timing Belt, I smell something though ;)

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice.

The dealer is a the seat/ Volkswagen Arnold Clark in Paisley.

I plan to phone another dealer to investigate the timing belt interval tomorrow and will post what I find out. It did strike me a bit like the dealer is quiet at this time of year. It did surprise me when they took the service booking at a days notice!

I plan to get the brake parts and wishbone bushes and take to an independent. Things like wiper and bulbs I'll do.

I checked Aircon tonight, seemed cold enough for me anyway so I'll revisit it next summer!

Thanks again for all the input. Much appreciated.

cmc

Last edited:

SpareMan

Feb 8, 2006
Thanks for all the advice.

The dealer is a the seat/ Volkswagen Arnold Clark in Paisley.

I plan to phone another dealer to investigate the timing belt interval tomorrow and will post what I find out. It did strike me a bit like the dealer is quiet at this time of year. It did surprise me when they took the service booking at a days notice!

I plan to get the brake parts and wishbone bushes and take to an independent. Things like wiper and bulbs I'll do.

I checked Aircon tonight, seemed cold enough for me anyway so I'll revisit it next summer!

Thanks again for all the input. Much appreciated.

cmc

You said your car is 4 years old? Then Brake Fluid change is due (every 2 years). Also the dealer are partly right about the cambelt change, SEAT technical now recommend all cambelts should be changed at 4 years if the vehicle has not reached the necessary mileage. However I do not think this has been published to the dealer network officially yet though should be soon. Some more aware dealers are obviously recommending the 4 year interval already. Skoda already recommend the 4 year interval.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.