Boot lock

turmoil

One of the members
Sep 24, 2001
Athens - Greece
Visit site
Have been hearing some strange noises lately and when I took it to the dealer they told me that they want to replace the lock since this is what rattles. I however cannot be persuaded that the lock needs changing so I tried getting to he lock but I had no luck. Any ideas of how to remove the inside cover to get to the lock cause I removed both of the screws but did not have any luck? Ta

:devil:

Christina

My boot lock has failed with no warning and no rattles. It won't open mechanically or electronically. Its an MY2001 Cupra and I've been waiting now for 3 weeks for the replacement unit to arrive at the garage. There seems to be a supply problem.......

Sorry Turmoil but I've no idea how to do this oneself - I'm sure somebody else will oblige.

SJFISHER67

Are you talkin' to me?
Boot Lock,

Trust me is it a nightmare to remove the rear inside panel of the boot. I took mine off, nearly broke it in half, there are loads of metal clips that are slotted inside the plastic of the fascia, these clipinto metal slots in the internal boot skin, you can get it off, but it is a nightmare. Wahtever you do please be careful.

Hope this helps, if only a little.

Regards

SJFisher67

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
The boot lock is a common problem....
If it failed the same as mine then there is a workaround if you are feeling brave.

hold the lock fully up with just the end of your fingers.
With the other hand clench your fist and bring it down sharply.
Hopefully your lock will now operate again...unless its a solenoid problem you have:(

I used this method when shown by SEAT mechanics.

You have to be quite brutal so mind you don't hurt your hands.

Hope this helps.

You don't have to do this everytime.
After I did it once the lock worked fine for a week until I had the lock replaced under Warranty.

:)

DanDiesel

In my diesel is where I'll be, chugging merrily.
Mar 17, 2005
Kent
dodgy boot lock??

hey

has anyone found with their leons that when the lock it, the boot can still be opened by the normal method ie-pulling up the "S" badge?
mine has done it a few times now and i was wandering if it was me not shutting it firmly enough or whether it is actually a fault?
the other day though i hadn't opened the boot for a couple of days and it still didn't lock!!! :confused: :confused:
if it doesn't lock first time then i give it a nice firm shut and this usually sorts it out.
has anyone come across this before?

regards

dan

RickC

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Dec 23, 2004
Lincoln
not this but when its unlocked you cant open it, you have to fiddle with the key and press the remote, its due to the locking arm being to long / short, if you pull off the rear plastic you can see the lock and it has a thread that you can adjust if i can remember, if ur stuck send me a pm and ill take some piccies for you

DanDiesel

Mar 17, 2005
Kent
yeah i've had that problem aswell that when the car is unlocked the boot is locked. happened to me at the petrol station and my wallet was in my bag in the boot! i had to lock and then unlock the doors just to get in the boot!! :thumbd:
if u could post me some pics of where i have to look then that would be great mate

Riddick_m3

Mar 17, 2005
Sudbury, Suffolk
ive still got the problem! i cant lock my boot at all no matter what ive tried...........i looked at getting the boot plastic trim off but damn i thought it was going to snap so i gave up is there an easy way to get it off?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
u need to sort this out - its a very common problem and can be 1 or a few things combined:

1) The pin that joins handle to lock has fallen off or broken
2) The boot solenoid is duff
3) loose wiring (apparently common too?)
4) Whole lock is b*ggered..

Well, i took mine to dealers, they gave me the "oh, not THAT again" look and booked it straight in, no questions. However, the bootlock did take 4 weeks to arrive (back order) and did mean my car wasnt totally secure for that length of time (sometimes couldnt lock it at all :( )

Riddick_m3

Mar 17, 2005
Sudbury, Suffolk
yeah i really need to sort it out, would have a go myself to save me taking it to the dealers but like i said i couldnt even get the plastic of the boot lol i guess im goin to have to book it in,

DanDiesel

Mar 17, 2005
Kent
well this fault is intimitent so knowing my luck i'd take it to the dealer and it just wouldn't happen at all, sods law :censored: :censored:

portgag

Leon tailgate lock

The tailgate on my 1.9TDI locked solid some time ago. According to the dealer the fault lay with a dodgy solonoid which was fitted at some significant cost. The same thing has happened again but I am far from convinced that the problem is with the solonoid. If I could find out how to get at the damn thing from inside the car I would but, up to now, I have not been able to work out how to get to it short of ripping out the internal platic cover. Has anyone any information about gaining access without full demolition? Picture would be useful!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
have a search on here - there is info on how to get to it - but dont think there are any pictures.
Common problem on the leons tbh - i have had mine changed 2 times and still have problems.

portgag

Boot Lock Fixed - this time!

Via the boot, remove the plastic panel covering the rear light cluster. It is then possible to reach in and release the boot latch - dependent on how long and flexible your arm is, it may be neccessary to temporarily remove the bulbs.
With the boot latch released the problem was evident. The latch assembly had been plastered with a very heavy grease resembling whale blubber. The excess grease was removed and the entire unit sprayed with WD40 - problem solved!

The unit now works fine - damn sight cheaper than a new solonoid.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Mine was not locking with the rest of the doors. I removed the plastic boot trim (bl**dy hard work, but it does come off), remove the single screw inside each of the tailgate interior grab handles and with a bit of muscle the trim will then pull away from the tailgate. You will see a small metal rod going from the top of the solenoid to the lock mechanism.

Remove this rod (it just pops off). Spray the plastic pin it was attached to liberally with WD40 and using the end of a screwdriver, hammer the pin down into the main body of the solenoid. Test by pressing the locking button on your key and it should pop back up. Re-fit the metal rod and hey-presto, you have a locking boot.

I have to add that mine has since stopped working again and as I can't be bothered pulling the plastic trim off every two weeks, I've removed the metal solenoid to lock mechanism connecting rod and now just lock the boot with the key. The key will not turn in the lock if the solenoid is jammed so the rod connecting the two parts must be removed to allow manual locking.

Hope this helps.

golf-ball

leon boot lock - dead??

bought a 01 leon TDI SE 110.

the boot lock dosent work.
eg:

lock the car using key or fob. all is locked, except for boot. it will open (but alarm goes off)

also, when putting key in the lock, a turn to the left should lock it - however this does nothing. also - it will not turn to the right, so it wont go into deadlock / valet lock position.

any ideas?

marklong

I had the same problem on mine from new. The only firm solution to the problem is to get the boot lock replaced. There are a few methods of how to fix the problem, but to be honest if you can get a completely new lock do it. This may take a week or so as sometimes they need to order a key specific lock to match your keyfob. Find a good dealer and get it done, is a common problem apparently

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
had my boot lock replaced twice, and "fixed" twice now also. Bloody n*ff design in my opinion. So far in my year of ownership I have been unable to open my boot for 11 weeks :(

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
The boot lock is a common problem....
If it failed the same as mine then there is a workaround if you are feeling brave.

hold the lock fully up with just the end of your fingers.
With the other hand clench your fist and bring it down sharply.
Hopefully your lock will now operate again...unless its a solenoid problem you have:(

I used this method when shown by SEAT mechanics.

You have to be quite brutal so mind you don't hurt your hands.

Hope this helps.

You don't have to do this everytime.
After I did it once the lock worked fine for a week until I had the lock replaced under Warranty.

:)

I just went to pick my daughter up. She went to open the boot to put a case in and I'd forgotten the doors were all locked as the engine was running.

The boot latch must have got forced slightly and we couldn't get in. This peed me right off, I hate unexpected jobs appearing and i know it's a **** to get the interior trim off.

I spent 5 minutes searching on here and found Mr Sherrin's tip. Went out and tried it - I can confirm it works! Problem solved :clap:

(Mark means hold the 'S' Latch up and then hit it with your other hand.)