Brake options with standard FR wheels

MacFever

Nov 30, 2009
Brussels
My car needs better brakes but I dont want to change my standard FR wheels (I like them a lot)
Can I fit the Seat race brakes together with wheel spacers and if so how much mm must they be?

Other options ?

Thanks

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Going to be tough, dont know for sure as not tried some but better off with a 312mm upgrade I think.

Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
my dealer said only the standard cupra/boc alloys fit over the racing brakes, all other accessory seat alloys for the mk5 don't have enough clearance. if anyone has got aftermarket 17" alloys over them please tell me, I have had to order custom made wheels for my car from demon tweeks.:(

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Just get the Audi TT (etc) carrier for the caliper, fit the 312mm discs (same as the Racing brake upgrade) and refit your caliper with the new carrier, job done.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
No MK1 TT, same as Leon Cupra, MK4 Golf anni. Its the parts that mounts the caliper to the bearing carrier. Pretty well covered if you search for 312mm brake conversion, same as Mk4 Ibiza but you dont have to change the caliper.

MacFever

Nov 30, 2009
Brussels
I have a Beetle with the 312 mm upgrade in place (is now my wife's car and she is driving much slower than I do !)
Do you think it is possible to swap the brakes between my Beetle and my FR or will I need to buy additional hardware ?

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
They would be a straight swap, not need to change the calipers though, just swap the carriers and the discs.

MacFever

Nov 30, 2009
Brussels
If I dont swap where would be the best place to buy the parts I need for the FR ?

Sorry to be asking all these annoying questions

MacFever

Nov 30, 2009
Brussels
One last question : if the calipers and the brakepads remain the same how does the car brake harder if the contact pad-disk is the same ?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members