Brake pad indicator

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
Does anyone know if the mk3 Leon has a brake bad indicator for when they’re getting low? A dash light or anything? Mines a 2015 Cupra.
Would be staggered if it doesn't. Well certainly on the fronts. Would have thought its a legal requirement

If you can have a look at the calipers then you should see a cable on one of them coming from one of the brake pads. think mine was on the drivers side (RHD)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
What you really need, unless you take the wheels off and check all four wheels is, request a copy of "CAR DATA" from your local SEAT dealership parts department, it might be free or they might charge you for searching for that info and printing it out - that printout should confirm if "brake wear warning" has been included into the initial build of that car, and much more.
My wife has an August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL - and it has zip all in terms of brake pad wearing warning, strangely ECP do not sell any pad kits that do not have that built into them, so if I buy from ECP, I'll be cutting off the cable from a front pad.

Edit:- by the way, according to the CAR DATA printout for my daughter's May 2019 Leon Cupra, her car does have brake wear warning fitted to it.

Last edited:

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Does anyone know if the mk3 Leon has a brake bad indicator for when they’re getting low? A dash light or anything? Mines a 2015 Cupra.
Yes, electronic 1x on the front axle and 1x on the rear axle, which will flag a dash warning light it triggered. VAG use 2x wires which makes a circuit - when your pads are low enough - usually 2-3mm they wear away the contact and break the circuit - which triggers the warning light.

You only have 1x indicator on 1x pad per axle - so you could have worn the other 3x pads unevenly and the 'car' would be none the wiser! - so it doesn't replace physically checking your brakes!

Reactions: H Rafiq

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Yes, electronic 1x on the front axle and 1x on the rear axle, which will flag a dash warning light it triggered. VAG use 2x wires which makes a circuit - when your pads are low enough - usually 2-3mm they wear away the contact and break the circuit - which triggers the warning light.

You only have 1x indicator on 1x pad per axle - so you could have worn the other 3x pads unevenly and the 'car' would be none the wiser! - so it doesn't replace physically checking your brakes!
I don’t believe that there is a wear indicator on the rear axle. Front offside (UK) is the location for the front sensor.

Reactions: RUM4MO

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Aren’t the rear just fitted with the tinny scraping devices, it rubs on the disc when the friction material wears low and creates an annoying noise.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Aren’t the rear just fitted with the tinny scraping devices, it rubs on the disc when the friction material wears low and creates an annoying noise.
Again, not that I recall on the OEM pads. Pads have the rubber backing plate.

The metal anti-squeal plates (ironic I know) like this were fitted to my previous Japanese cars.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I don’t believe that there is a wear indicator on the rear axle. Front offside (UK) is the location for the front sensor.
Yes, you're right - did an Audi A5's brakes last week (been a long week!) - and that had front and rear elec wear indicators.

The Leon only has one on the front axle.

Doesn't have ANY wear indication electrical or mechanical (screech clips) on the rear axle.

Reactions: martin j.

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Yep, we have a couple of 290's on fleet and there is warning (yellow circle on dash after start up) The rears always go first due to the auto handbrake during start/stop traffic.

I had my own personal 2018 needing rear pads at 25k. The front pads were still good.

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Even on the 2015 pre-facelift?
Which part are you referring to?

Yes, pre-FL has the sensor on the front pads and will have the yellow brake warning on the dash.

Whilst pre-FLs have a manual hand brake, it still has the hill hold feature (manual and auto box).

FLs have additional wear due to electronic handbrake - normally from the pads bonding to the brake disc surface if damp/wet and left overnight.

The wear will be even high on vehicles with adaptive cruise control as this uses the rear brakes to adjust the speed.

Attachments

• 2BE6B428-5C9D-4EFE-AC18-82C20C6A9FC9.jpeg
    2BE6B428-5C9D-4EFE-AC18-82C20C6A9FC9.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: H Rafiq
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.