Brake pedal hard to press after acceleration

Matt Norrie

Apr 9, 2020
I noticed the other day whilst i was driving that the brake pedal was hard to push after acceleration.
The pedal goes hard when i first push it after accelerating then returns to normal when i release and push it again.
It feels very similar to when you push the pedal when the engine is off.
I dont really want to go to a garage as i prefer to do all the work on my car myself.
Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Cheers

- Matt

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Im not an expert but follow your brake servo hose from the manifold all the way along. Youll probably find a few plastic check valves, sometimes the plastic hose can split around these. On my model the servo has has a Y shape connector and mine was split to ****.

Usually a leak in the brake servo vac system will give you a wooden brake pedal after being right on the gas.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I noticed the other day whilst i was driving that the brake pedal was hard to push after acceleration.
The pedal goes hard when i first push it after accelerating then returns to normal when i release and push it again.
It feels very similar to when you push the pedal when the engine is off.
I dont really want to go to a garage as i prefer to do all the work on my car myself.
Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Cheers

- Matt
Also what’s your idle like? If it’s a little lumpy that could point toward a brake vac leak

Matt Norrie

Apr 9, 2020
Also what’s your idle like? If it’s a little lumpy that could point toward a brake vac leak
Its a tad rough to be fair. also when i rev it abit in neutral the revs stay the same for a few seconds after lifting off the accelerator so i'll check the vac lines.
Thanks alot

Reactions: Connor H
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members