**Breaking** 418.5bhp (Parts list pg24) Joe's (GT3071R) Ibiza Cupra R

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Friday night - started taking the car apart, turbo came off in a couple of hours, no issues there.

Left it for the night then Saturday morning decided to take the manifold off, again no problems.

Though on closer inspection to the turbo I found these :( ;

One of the cracks goes all the way through towards the cartridge as you can see.

Plus side is that I have a workshop for the car now :)

And new steering wheel on the way

Fairly miffed at the turbo to be honest, covered around 5000 miles and very safe map, with good EGT's I'm surprised at the build quality. Anyone had anything similar or got a result from Garrett with replacement under warranty etc?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
who supplied it? 1st port of call..

they will no doubt question its tuning, egt's fueling etc... and may not take your word on it unless you have evidence of its mapped afr's and EGTs etc (playing devils advocate here)

disappointing seeing cracks tho.. Track use yea? << if so, all warranties are Voided normally

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
who supplied it? 1st port of call..

they will no doubt question its tuning, egt's fueling etc... and may not take your word on it unless you have evidence of its mapped afr's and EGTs etc (playing devils advocate here)

disappointing seeing cracks tho.. Track use yea? << if so, all warranties are Voided normally

Backdraft supplied, they offer nothing.

I have logs from mapping sessions and road logs thereafter.

One day at Bedford, daily use other than that, so really nothing strenuous.:confused:

Assuming heat is the cause but is it known that castings can be manufactured weakly?

Seen many Bill?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Backdraft supplied, they offer nothing.

I have logs from mapping sessions and road logs thereafter.

One day at Bedford, daily use other than that, so really nothing strenuous.:confused:

Assuming heat is the cause but is it known that castings can be manufactured weakly?

Seen many Bill?

Seen plenty yes

Track use is very high temps
Thats why most dont offer warranty on parts used on track.... they all fail at some point.
Racecars are rebuilt all the time, and things are just consumed as part of racing.

You say not strenuous, but how do you know?

Not warranty on Backdraft supplied unit? They would have bought it in from some one..
T25 hotsides in my experience will always run too hot at your power levels.. Thats why I dont use them myself. External gates on 350+bhp cars is my preference.

If only hotside its not mega £ to replace tho. Do you know who supplied Backdraft? Alex would know if they wont tell you.

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Seen plenty yes

Track use is very high temps
Thats why most dont offer warranty on parts used on track.... they all fail at some point.
Racecars are rebuilt all the time, and things are just consumed as part of racing.

You say not strenuous, but how do you know?

Not warranty on Backdraft supplied unit? They would have bought it in from some one..
T25 hotsides in my experience will always run too hot at your power levels.. Thats why I dont use them myself. External gates on 350+bhp cars is my preference.

If only hotside its not mega £ to replace tho. Do you know who supplied Backdraft? Alex would know if they wont tell you.

I have sent a mail to Backdraft and Garrett now, awaiting responses.

I know that the temps are good - the Zeitronix is constantly monitoring the temps and saves high values after a run, never exceeded 850 degs and the probe tip would be about half inch from wastegate port so pretty accurate for telling the turbo temps.

Speaking to a few others this seems like a common issue - how come not addressed yet? The cast manifold that I use has no signs of fatigue or early failure so I don't get it!

Poor build quality IMO. A product design to be given total shite and it can't take daily driving for 5k miles. Mapping logs show that the EGT's were also never too high. What's going on??

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I have sent a mail to Backdraft and Garrett now, awaiting responses.

I know that the temps are good - the Zeitronix is constantly monitoring the temps and saves high values after a run, never exceeded 850 degs and the probe tip would be about half inch from wastegate port so pretty accurate for telling the turbo temps.

Speaking to a few others this seems like a common issue - how come not addressed yet? The cast manifold that I use has no signs of fatigue or early failure so I don't get it!

Poor build quality IMO. A product design to be given total shite and it can't take daily driving for 5k miles. Mapping logs show that the EGT's were also never too high. What's going on??

poor quality casting :(

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Opinions needed on the exhaust control valve (ECV) - basically a butterfly which sits in the exhaust to quieten down the tone. This is mainly needed to get me on track.

So I am aware that this are not ideal on a straight through type exhaust system, because they can block the exhaust gases, causing the engine to stall. Looking into a few ECV's it seems that they are alright for straight systems because they leave about 2mm gap all the way around the butterfly when 100% closed.

Obviously this isn't ideal when on track boosting 2.1bar or so but my main issue is passing the static test.

When I went to Angelsey, Silverstone and Brands Hatch non of them were doing out on track drive by sound checking. Goodwood and Bedford did, however. Can anyone confirm that the above tracks don't record the drive by sound?

I will weld in the flange just before the backbox where I have plenty of space - this is what the kit looks like

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members