BTCC 2008 predictions

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Clearly these are all a guess...

But I think the following will happen.....

SEAT Sport UK sell 2006 spec Leon's to Motorbase Performance.

Motorbase Performance pass on their two complete Toledo's to someone.

GR Asia to run 2 x Leon's in BTCC - Adam Jones to find some more budget & do a whole season.

SEAT Sport UK to pick up 2 x Diesel Leon's (new / 2nd hand?)

Jason Plato to not renew his contract for 2008

Huffy to return to BTCC (his Daywoo contract expires 2007) - picks up the 'spare SEAT seat'

Not sure about Darren, probably a good driver to have to develop the TDi's

This is all a guess & without foundation.... but I'd wager a fiver on at least 50% happening.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Could be extremely interesting if it does pan out. Grid will be full of Seats though. :D

5imonharri5

schweet schweet CANDY!
Aug 20, 2006
The only prediction i'll make for next year.........

SEAT are gonna get spanked if they dont find some straight line speed.
they can't go to every meeting hoping for rain.

They may put a TDi out, I just hope it doesn't spend the season keeping the banana beemer company at the back!

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Not sure, he left VXR in 2001 under a cloud. As Plato will potentially be a two times British Champion at the end of this season. He'll either:

1. Want to defend the title with SEAT for a further 1 year deal.
2. Defend his title with A.N Other team, but I can't see it unless another top flight manufacturer joins the series. BMW?
3. Will look to leave the BTCC and get a drive, possibly with SEAT or BMW in the WTCC, something I think would be more likely.
4. Retire and do more TV work!

Muzorewa

¡Muchas gracias señores!
Aug 6, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
I really do hope he does win the championship this season but Giovanardi, I fear, will continue his run of luck. But it only takes a meeting like Donington where Seat thought they would do really badly for things to change again. It's not beyond the realms of possibility for Gio to get punted out of race 1 and not score at all. But then again, Plato could suffer the same fate and then it's all over.

WTCC is a nice gig but hellishly difficult to shine in, there's some exceptional teams & talent there.

I like the prospect of Huffy returning, I noticed his dad was at Brands at the weekend :p

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
with regards to straight line speed,with thruxton coming up i can't see plato winning the championship,without a few rabbits feet and some gypo heather.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
with regards to straight line speed,with thruxton coming up i can't see plato winning the championship,without a few rabbits feet and some gypo heather.

From earlier this year.....

Race 1 Results
1. Fabrizio Giovanardi (Vauxhall Vectra)…21:41.754
2. Jason Plato (SEAT Leon)…21:46.112
3. Darren Turner (SEAT Leon)…21:46.726
4. Colin Turkington (BMW 320si)…21:46.973
5. Matt Neal (Honda Civic)…21:48.180
6. Tom Chilton (Vauxhall Vectra)…21:54.859

Race 2 Results
1. Fabrizio Giovanardi (Vauxhall Vectra)…25:41.800
2. Matt Neal (Honda Civic)…25:42.085
3. Tom Chilton (Vauxhall Vectra)…25:46.157
4. Mike Jordan (Honda Integra)...25:49.415
5. Colin Turkington (BMW 320si)…25:50.352
6. Jason Plato (SEAT Leon)…25:50.873
Darren Turner (SEAT Leon)…DNF

Race 3 Results
1. Jason Plato (SEAT Leon)…21:45.119
2. Gordon Shedden (Honda Civic)…21:46.532
3. Mike Jordan (Honda Integra)...21:50.085
4. Fabrizio Giovanardi (Vauxhall Vectra)…21:52.414
5. Matt Neal (Honda Civic)…21:52.591
6. Darren Turner (SEAT Leon)…21:53.000

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net

Thruxton is a quick track and power will play its part, but its also involves a lot of high speed cornering.

The Leon has possibly the best chassis in the championship. It also does a good job of looking after its tyres, which are a crucial element to success at Thruxton.

As m0rk points out, they didn't embarrass themselves earlier in the season at Thruxton, but likewise the other teams will have developed since then.

Knockhill is still their best opportunity for a successful race weekend, and I do believe that they can win or lose the championship there. I personally think we have lost the Manufacturers crown this year. Darren has had rotten luck, and we needed more high point finishes from him to close the gap. not impossible, but were certainly on the back foot now to Vauxhall.

I would hope JP can win the drivers title, but its far too close to know at the moment, Gio is such a seasoned opponent. It's going to go down to the wire. :blink:

Last edited:

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
I'm good friends with the Mat Jackson camp and he will be racing his BMW in the WTCC race back at Brands on the 23rd September.

I also gave Mat 10 pound for nearly killing Matt ''Goon'' Neal. Always a next time......

How was Mat deducted grid placing for race 3 for a racing accident. He got a flyer and lost it. Surely Gio's move on Jordan at turn 1 was premeditated to cause a crash unlike Mat who certainly didn't intend to cause one.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Just to add Gio had a fine and points on his competition license for the incident with Mike Jordan. However I agree, the penalty on Mat was more extreme for what was in essence a racing incident.

But we'll never know because the Clerk of the course deem that they have more info than us, to be fair they do with telemetry and in car cameras. But they never release such evidence for public scrutiny.