Build date thread

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Makes you wonder where all these semi built cars are being stored?!

Not like the size issue of continuous production of 737 Max's had for Boeing when grounded, but are our cars under cover, parked in fields or what?🙄🤔
IMHO it’s unlikely they’ll be parked under cover. They probably have the protective transport film on the bonnet, roof and tailgate though to protect against environmental fallout and bird poo.

I dare say that with the number of part built cars involved, Seat - and other car manufacturers - may be leasing additional parking facilities to store these vehicles until such time that supplies of semiconductors come through so they can complete the builds and get them transported onto their final destinations.

Reactions: Torque69

yaffa0

Jan 26, 2017
Makes you wonder where all these semi built cars are being stored?!

Not like the size issue of continuous production of 737 Max's had for Boeing when grounded, but are our cars under cover, parked in fields or what?🙄🤔
It looks like this:
674ECFDE-C19B-47D4-9FF9-3E28772707D0.png

2727E61F-6396-4830-B7C5-74165AD0200C.png

At least they seem to be under some kind roof, protected by the sun. Seat cleverly seems to use the space for solar energy.

Btw, I got news today that my car is now ready and waiting for shipment. It should be in Finland in Nov- Dec. Let’s see…

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
It looks like this:
View attachment 27900
View attachment 27901
At least they seem to be under some kind roof, protected by the sun. Seat cleverly seems to use the space for solar energy.

Btw, I got news today that my car is now ready and waiting for shipment. It should be in Finland in Nov- Dec. Let’s see…
Happy days! Pleased for you. :)

Its quite some logistics operation to manage the storage of 'nearly' built cars and arranging in such a way they can complete such cars that are not in the middle of the stored cars.
Some kind of FIFO (first in, first out) but clearly not, boggles the mind thinking about it!

gdsl88

Oct 13, 2021
Mine (300 VZ3, wk 35 build) is in transport from the factory, should be in it in about 3 weeks.

xeizo

Aug 17, 2021
Just spreading through media; new car sales are down between 20-25% all over Europe because of the component shortage. I of 4 buyers haven't got their car like in the last year ...

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
I remember having a Peugeot 605 in the workshop in the 90's needing a fuel injection part. After several attempts to order and delivered incorrectly parts technical duly informed us the vehicle was actually built almost 3 years before registration!

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
I remember having a Peugeot 605 in the workshop in the 90's needing a fuel injection part. After several attempts to order and delivered incorrectly parts technical duly informed us the vehicle was actually built almost 3 years before registration!
Amazing!
For those who don't remember this nicely styled saloon

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
This was the danger of buying a 'in stock' car back in the days before just in time supply systems; I remember touring a port once which had thousands of Alpha Romeo sat in a grass field, most of which were the older model and many were already well on the way in self-recycling.

• Haha
Reactions: Yern

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
Ordered end of May expecting it within 18 weeks but no build date yet.
Finally got an estimated date for delivery to the dealer - 30th January 2022 🙈

I originally wanted it for the middle of November, ordering in May seemed a little over the top at the time :LOL:

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
Finally got an estimated date for delivery to the dealer - 30th January 2022 🙈

I originally wanted it for the middle of November, ordering in May seemed a little over the top at the time :LOL:
Jeez!!

What model, trim level, options etc?

I've been told that ehybrids are prioritized, presume yours not then..

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
Estate FR Sport 1.5 eTSi DSG with the radar cruise control option pack. I bet it's that option pack that's really done me in what with the chip shortage!

xeizo

Aug 17, 2021
According to the news Volkswagengroup are prioritizing pure EV:s, to not let Tesla get a too high market share. So even ehybrids looks to be at the bottom.

Last edited:

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
I'm sure such delays will give many customers headaches with current leases finishing and then not having a car, needing a stopgap set of wheels etc.

At least my Outlander is being automatically extended by the lease company my employer uses as they're handling my order, so I'll not be short of wheels, just not the ones I'd prefer to be driving!
Only option I selected for my Desire Red ehybrid FR estate was the pan roof and suspect mine will be delivered in the first quarter of the New Year, regardless of being advised December 2021..

Reactions: Leonfr140

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
According to the news Volkswagengroup are prioritizing pure EV:s, to not let Tesla get a too high market share. So even ehybrids looks to be at the bottom share.
Maybe my dealer telling me untruths then re the ehybrid..., not exactly unusual in my experience...

xeizo

Aug 17, 2021
I'm sure such delays will give many customers headaches with current leases finishing and then not having a car, needing a stopgap set of wheels etc.

At least my Outlander is being automatically extended by the lease company my employer uses as they're handling my order, so I'll not be short of wheels, just not the ones I'd prefer to be driving!
Only option I selected for my Desire Red ehybrid FR estate was the pan roof and suspect mine will be delivered in the first quarter of the New Year, regardless of being advised December 2021..

I have my very old car, it runs well and yearly inspection is in March, I've already put on winter tyres so being prepared

xeizo

Aug 17, 2021
One can just hope Seat puts some effort into improving the infotainment system software during the time they are not delivering any cars

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members