Bust my alloy on a pothole, what now?

schnipps

Apr 17, 2006
Leon mark 1 fr with standard 17" alloys, i have bust one this morning and replacement from seat is 300 quid plus a tyre, what other options do i have. Any chance of getting 1 wheel second hand or should i just change them all as they are quite manky anyway, worth going to 18"? Also does anywhere do cupra r replica wheels?

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Ebay is you best bet. I sometimes see the odd single wheel for sale. also look at breakers selling them.

Makes me sooo mad that the state of our roads are damaging our cars [:@]

I've just renewed my rd tax at over £220 odd quid and what do i get for it?

Have you claimed for the damage with your local council?

leons_ leon

BYE BYE GTI
Jan 2, 2010
Norwich
Leon mark 1 fr with standard 17" alloys, i have bust one this morning and replacement from seat is 300 quid plus a tyre, what other options do i have. Any chance of getting 1 wheel second hand or should i just change them all as they are quite manky anyway, worth going to 18"? Also does anywhere do cupra r replica wheels?

Personally i wouldnt go for 18" just got a set of momo 18" on my car and its not a nice ride compared to my 16"

schnipps

Apr 17, 2006
Report it http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/

Take photos with measurement to show how bad it was (quickly before they fix it). The put in a claim. This will only work if it's been reported already. Legally they can't be held responsible for problems they don't know about.

Ttricky as its in middlesbrough and i live in newcastle and it was on a roundabout so would be a tad dodgy to do

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Must of been a seriously deep pothole to damage some 17's

Bet a few people would of complained about it already.

Personally I'd be seething and ringing the council direct to vent my spleen.

Someone could be killed by something like this. Imagine hitting it on performance road bike.

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
just going though this 1 me self the pot holes are like mountains in doncaster go and take a pic of the hole measure the depth and lenght,width, and take pics before the council go and fill it in and report it to them asap. they will be others that have reported it already they send forms out and send the pics to them or the pot hole and damage to your wheel.and then they will sort it will take about 5-6 week(aLSO TAKE A PIC OF YOUR WHEEL AND THE DAMAGE) then go get a price for a new wheel(which mine a cupra r wheel:funk: and its 300 quid from dealers:)they also put aside money well so much for this kinder:censored: thing a year

Last edited:

schnipps

Apr 17, 2006
Rang council, need to know name of road so i need to go back and take pics problem is i dont know where it was, i can narrow it down to around 3/4 of a mile and i know i turned right so i will try and find it and snap it. I was on my way to garage for service anyway so will get them to write a quick report on state of the wheel if needs be and will take pics. Im fuming as its blew my tyre, busted my alloy and wasted my wheel bearings, it was a hell of a bang so must have been seriously deep.

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
get on it asap before they go and cover it up and make sure every thing is correct on the car cos they will try every thing to get out of it

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.