Can doing this have bad results

johno1404

4 DOORS FOR MORE *****S
Aug 22, 2005
Hertfordshire
My mate has got a black ibiza cupra virtually the sam eas mine. He had basic mods on it, open cone filter, cat back exhaust and a stage 1 revo.

First he had a bailey dump valve on it as he liked the woosh sound. No he has got bored with that and removed it. He hasnt put anything in its place apart from a hose joiner to join the two hoses together where the recirc valve is.
It now make a really nice chatter sound and is very loud.

Has anyone done this and is it bad for the engine. Ive done a search but can seem to find anything on it.

It really does sound the nuts but i dont want to do it if its just gonna mess things up.

I have the same mods by the way just not a revo and i have a forge 007

Cupra Ben

Jan 26, 2007
Its commonly thought of as "wastegate chatter" but thats not the case. The noise is made by the the throttle closing and the boost pressure having nowhere to go (no dumpvalve) so backing up and then effectively being chopped by the turbo as it goes through the wrong way. It can stall the turbo meaning once you have selected the next gear the turbo has to spin up from scratch to provide boost. Also the boost pressure passing throught the turbo the wrong way places extra strain on it. So although it sounds good its not the best idea in all honesty.

R953 VSE

First he had a bailey dump valve on it as he liked the woosh sound. No he has got bored with that and removed it. He hasnt put anything in its place apart from a hose joiner to join the two hoses together where the recirc valve is.
It now make a really nice chatter sound and is very loud.

holy cow batman, thats a proper bodge. that "nice chatter sound" is not nice at all.

StanTheMan

So your mate has joined the low pressure side and high pressure side together with a hose? :lol:

Apart from the stupidly obvious technical point above, chatter will not hurt a turbo running sub 20psi. Just take a look at the ford world, hundreds or possibly thousands of rs turbos and cossies running with any dv/recirc at all. No harm done.

Rick1.8t

Feb 18, 2006
Sounds like a wonderfull bodge there! - why doesnt he dump the old one back on?!

As you point out though stan, this forum is soooo god damn anal about the Dv business and that not running one spells instant disaster - as you say, endless ford guys dont run them, my friends getting a cosworth engine rebuilt by a race engine builders, they told him not run one as it could cause reliablity problems, his car used to chatter with the dv anyway, the dv just couldnt vent enough boost.

Rant over.

Sort your crazy mates car out. lol

Rick

Cupra Ben

Jan 26, 2007
As said there are loads of RS Turbos and Cossies running without them and it doesnt cause any immediate problems but does increase the strain on the turbo over the years and many thousands of gear changes. Cars running lower boost figures suffer less but i have seen cases of big boost Cossies snapping turbo shafts.

johno1404

4 DOORS FOR MORE *****S
Aug 22, 2005
Hertfordshire
So your mate has joined the low pressure side and high pressure side together with a hose? :lol:

Apart from the stupidly obvious technical point above, chatter will not hurt a turbo running sub 20psi. Just take a look at the ford world, hundreds or possibly thousands of rs turbos and cossies running with any dv/recirc at all. No harm done.

Yes he has mate.

Cheers boys i thought he was being an complete plank :doh:. Im happy with the sound of mine anyway and thats just with an open cone airfilter and Forge 007.

Looks like its gonna stay that way.

DavieCupraTurbo

Intresting post, didnt realise u could run a bailey dump valve on a seat cupra? Ive got recirc forge aswell, performs well!Im running an k & N induction kit open filter, good setup but does anyone know if u get a slightly different sounding dump if you have a different cone filter ie green cotton maby?

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
its going to either kill his turbo or send his ECU loopy and kill his cat(alyst) its not a ford so any reference to rs's and the like is irrelevant

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.