Can someone take a quick measurement? (FR Tdi owners)

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
Hey,

Just looking for anyone with a FR Tdi on standard suspension that could possibly take a quick measurement of the distance between the bottom of the arch and the top of the rim (18" andromedas). For both the the front and the rear please and then post it up for me. :D

Just looking to know roughly how much mine is sitting lowered by as i never went for a specific amount, just had it setup at a height that didnt rub at the front then leveled the rear off to match.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Mine is standard suspension on 17s so this may not help you.
It is "5,3/4 to the top of the rim front and back from the arch.Just been and measured it.
Maybe just take half inch from that and your about there.18s are 1 inch bigger all round so halve that.
Cheers.

Last edited:

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
It is "5,3/4 to the top of the rim front and back from the arch.Just been and measured it.
Maybe just take half inch from that and your about there.18s are 1 inch bigger all round so halve that.
Cheers.

Good man, that will give me a rough figure for the time being, i'll get the measuring tape out when i get home and see what mine is now.

Thanks

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
OK, well i finally measured my own there now and did my sums :)

going by the theory laid out by fast al, it seems that my car is sitting lowered by about 44.5 mm

Can any of you tell me would i be able to go any lower without the front scrubbing? i just want to drop it exactly instead of dropping and raising/trial and error as i did this before and it was no use. I also dont want to muck up my 4 wheel alignment etc by doing it that way...

any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Sound's like your sorted, but just to confirm the numbers with 18" Wheels...

Top of Rim to Underside of Arch:

Front = 12cm
Rear = 13.3cm

4.4cm sounds like quite a big drop already - it must look pretty low?

Get some pics up, you know you want to! :D

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
Are you lowering via adjustable dampers or springs or both.?
COME ON GUYS.SOMEONE TELL HIM.

Coilovers mate :) Went for V-Maxx as i was on a tight budget, they are a good job but i do slightly regret not holding off until i could get a set that would adjust both rebound rate and height. I think i would have been able to go lower then as whats restricting me going lower with the V-Maxx is the amount of travel at the front when hitting bumps/dips in the road...

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
Sound's like your sorted, but just to confirm the numbers with 18" Wheels...

Top of Rim to Underside of Arch:

Front = 12cm
Rear = 13.3cm

4.4cm sounds like quite a big drop already - it must look pretty low?

Get some pics up, you know you want to! :D

that seems to make quite a difference, using your figures mine seems to be only 31.1mm lower :confused:

Can you not purchase, for example, Eibach springs with a drop greater than that? If so surely they wouldn't manufacture anything that would cause the car to rub...?

I'll get new pictures up Haddock of how it sits after being properly setup :)

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Cheers.
Come on, the wheels may be an inch bigger, but the tyres will be a different profile to make the rolling circumference the same. Otherwise all the gear ratios and speedo would all be cocked up.
Edit: Scrub that, just saw you're talking about the wheel rims rather than the tyres.

Need more coffee....

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
LeonDetailingCont011.jpg

think thats the only one i have since i had it set up properly and the backs not sitting lower than the front anymore... what you think? i would like it lower but i dont want it rubbing all the time!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise