Can vag-com read anything off non-vag cars ?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
A colleague at work has a Nissan Almera (yeah I know :D ) DCI which is very low on power, from his description almost sounds like it's in some sort of limp mode.

Can vag-com be used to get any fault codes off non-vag cars ?

Obviously the bulk of the functionality won't work, but as all cars have to be OBD-II compliant I wondered if I could at least get something out.

Any ideas ?

Failing that - any software I could run on my laptop that would do the job with my interface cable ?

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Not wanting to appear stupid, but are the ports the same shape? I had a poke around my car and even though I think it's OBD-II, the diag port's a different shape to what was on my Ibiza.

Uwe@Ross-Tech

Jan 7, 2002
www.Ross-Tech.com
Current versions of VAG-COM support all major generic OBD-II / EOBD functions on most cars which use any of the ISO standards for OBD-II / EOBD. Note that generic OBD support was required on all cars sold in the US market since model year 1996, but in the EU, it's only been mandatory since 2001 (petrol engines) and 2003 (diesel). Generic OBD-II functionality (as opposed to a simple compatibility test) was introduced with VAG-COM version 5xx. See:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tour/obd-2.html
(click the buttons in the screen-shot)

-Uwe-

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Would I be right in thinking version 5xx won't work with my serial port interface ?

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Did you ever get yours working Lee? I had a play with vagcom on my car this morning and it'll allow me to log a few blocks which is good. :)

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I didn't actually try, now you've said that, I might give it a go.

Do the various "modules" (eg Engine) available in vag-com match up to those in your car then ? I'd assumed the module numbers would be vag-specific.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise