Candy White Aero Cupra, Black Wheels

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Yup, last I heard, mine was up to 3rd on a list of 50 cars in the country waiting for them.

Apparently I'm first, or it could be I'm first with my dealer! I'm not sure.
Ordered them in mid february!
Were your wheels black from the factory?

Nice pictures!

topleya

MK5 Ibiza FR Black 1.2TSI
Nov 23, 2007
sod the car check out the blue sky, lovely. lol

Brilliant car, love it.

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
It begins...

infinity01.jpg

2ndleon

got some boston acoustic components to go in mine.let me know how the fit goes!

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
OK, so time to change the speakers. After reading through all the useful info in this thread and this thread, I bought two of these and two of these. Both of these products are sold in pairs, so that gave me 4 sets of everything.

The other guys have already posted step-by-step guides and pics but I made a couple of extra observations so here's my write-up :

To begin with, it all looks like this (except yours is probably cleaner...) :

infinity02.jpg

First off, stick a flat-bladed screwdriver in the recess as shown and pry off the speaker cover :

infinity03.jpg

This reveals the standard speaker :

infinity04.jpg

4 T20 torx screws hold the speaker in place :

infinity05.jpg

With the screws removed, disconnect the speaker. The wiring loom is held onto the door panel by a rubber grommet. Pull the grommet out of the panel so that the cable can be re-routed behind the new speaker adaptor :

infinity06.jpg

I cut the link wire between pin 1 and 2 on the Autoleads adaptor completely out (disconnecting the OE tweeter without cutting anything on the car's loom) :

infinity07.jpg

Autoleads adaptor in place. I removed the spade terminals and replaced them with crimp connectors :

infinity08.jpg

Using the large headed screws that come with the Autoleads kit, fit the adaptor rings (pre-modified by cutting off the outer flange). Careful with this as they'll easily strip their holes if you go crazy with the screwdriver.

At this point, I decided to drop the window to see exactly what ended up where and make sure nothing was going to get caught later on. You can see the rerouting of the car's cable here :

infinity09.jpg

The inner door panel has a mounting post to the window slide. I ran the cable around the underside of this post to ensure it would be free of the window (bad pic, sorry) :

infinity10.jpg

With everything connected up and the Infinity crossover box dropped in behind the door panel (a bit pikey, this - if it starts rattling around everywhere I'll pack it in some foam later on), fit the new speakers using the screws supplied with them :

infinity11.jpg

Sorted - refit the speaker grille (it only goes on one way as the pins aren't evenly spaced) and job done.

Start to finish, it took about an hour and a half to do all 4 speakers. Most of this time was on the first one - the last one was about 10 minutes.

Definitely an improvement - it shows up the difference in quality between the iPod and a CD for the first time. Push them harder and everything's clean and well defined, with none of the distortion of the standard speakers. I'm sure if bang bang thumpy dance music's your thing you'd still want a sub in the car somewhere but these'll do for me.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
Mark,

Love the car, checked this thread a few times
long call.....but....are you going to btcc at croft?
id love to have a good nosey around your mk2 as im looking to get rid of the mk1 this year

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
SEAT have finally finished my car :

ctrcaps.jpg

:thumbup:

Now I have to take the wheels off one at a time to swap out the temporary, painted centres for the new ones. Time for a set of McGards while I'm at it, methinks.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
I picked up my black wheel caps on monday!

Although they had been at the dealer for a couple of weeks!
3.5 months they arrived after ordering, and cost £48!

JUS CRU-ZN

BOOST JUNKIE!!
Mar 14, 2008
SEAT have finally finished my car :

ctrcaps.jpg

:thumbup:

Now I have to take the wheels off one at a time to swap out the temporary, painted centres for the new ones. Time for a set of McGards while I'm at it, methinks.

Lovely..... Do you have a part number for those black centre caps please????

Hope we can get them in South Africa:)