Cant Open My Boot!!

DIPS_CUPRA R

Hi all just brought my seat cupra r a week ago got one problem with it already when opening the boot it doesnt open tried it manually with the key but it didnt open so i was just wondering what could be wrong and issit a common fault? my guess its the catch which is gone and is there any other way of opening the boot?

many thanks

andycupra

status subject to change
yes common,
can try this:
pull handle up to horizontal and give it a thump horizontally towards the car. - This has worked for some others but not in my experience.
or turning the key fully one way then fully the other can sometimes correct this. but again most times not.

Otherwise you need to pull down rear seats, pull off the boot trim, (use both hands either side of the middle, it will make nasty sounds as it comes away, try not to break or tear it).
Then you can see the mechanism, this needs some lubricant as can dry out. from memory there is metal rod that moves either horizontaly or vertically, (i can rememeber which but think horizontally) lubricate this and operate a few times. then should be ok.
Basically when the metal bar moves it only 'locks' into place when it has operated fully. If its dry it does not operate fully and therefore the mechanism does not lock in place.
My advice would be leave trim off or partialy off a while then lubricate again week later before replacing the trim properly.

operate the boot from time to time if you use it rarely.

Last edited:

ChrisG

Apr 22, 2002
Hants
Try the whack of the handle first, it worked for me a few months ago. I did it slightly differently to the way explained above though, I pulled the handle up horizontal with one hand, then struck down onto the top of the handle with the other, as if you were trying to karate chop the Seat badge in half IYSWIM.

sureal

Yep same prob here but the way I got mine open was to lift the handle and on the lower right hand side if you look in behind the handle there is a part of the handle that comes down as you lift it to push down the mechanism that actually opens the boot, mines was jammed half way up from the last time it was opened and to open it I had to lift the mechanism back up fully then it would open when you lifted the handle again.
It seems to not open unless it comes all the way up after being pushed down.
Doing this wont fix the problem but I found it easier than going in from the back seats and once open I could remove the handle and trims to lube it all up.
All I used was a torch and a thin flat screwdriver.
Hope this helps but yours might not be the same problem I had, worth checking anyway.

DIPS_CUPRA R

Thanks for the replys guys, this info is useful well my car is down my mechanics for the 80k service boy is the parts costing my a fortune lol as well as a full cambelt job. my mechanic is my mate so whilst he doing that im gunno be trying to fix the boot lock by following the instructions thanks again will let you know how i got on!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.