Can't open the drivers door from the inside

BEnga

Hello,

My car has decided that it likes me so much that it can't bear to be parted from me and so won't let me out :(

Its getting a bit embarrassing having to roll down the window everytime I want to get out the car - more so when I forget and turn the engine off (electric windows) or the window is frozen shut!

I've have the panel off inside and its the metal bit that pulls the metal wire which pops the door open when you pull the interior handle (hope that makes sense!) which has snapped in half. Does anyone know a) what the part is called/ what the part no. would be, b) if the part is available on its own or if I'd need the full mechanism and c) if I can get the part is it an easy fix?

Any help gratefully received. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
officially known as 'door inner operating lever' for the handle and 'bowden cable' for the cable/metal bit :p

6X3 837 085C is the part number for just the cable itself

looks like it's a standard part right through 98-05 that i can tell

if it's the handle end part you need it will require a year/chassis and colour to match up etc but wouldn't be mucho ££ i would have thought

BEnga

Thanks for that. The metal bit that is snapped appears to have been attached to the door inner operation leaver, not the cable (which it hooks through).

Any idea how hard it would be to replace?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
once the door trime is off as far as i know it's one screw and it comes unclipped and you unhook the cable off it

been a while since i stripped one out though

send me an email ill forward a parts pic so you can see it all apart if it helps ?

blackarosa

yer the inner door handle jus unclips off the door card when you take the door card off the door that is theres no srews holding it on to the door card
From seat its about 25 pound i had the same problem no cable needed :D about 5 to 10 mins to do jus watch the door card does no break when you take it off they tend to do that :D

need any more advise about your arosa come to me :D

Layum8

Hey BEnga,

Ive just had to replace the same thing on mine. The door card as you know more or less pops off, then unclip the door handle and the inner door lever can just be unclipped ,however on mine there was lots of glue holding the inner door lever in, which i just heated to get it off.

It was quiet easy to do and only took about 20 mins at the most

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Layum8

allallyouyou

Arosa Sport
May 23, 2006
I dont know if its just your name but BEng would make you a bachelor of engineering.

Surely you could have worked that out!

:doh:

BEnga

Wow - thanks for all the help! I'd hoped I could just get the metal pin but I guess I'll have to replace the whole inner door handle

@Fl@pper - you have mail :) EDIT - Actually you don't - I don't appear to be able to PM you. Do I have to have a certain number of posts first before I can?

@allallyouyou - sadly my degree is not a BEng, I thought I'd typed Benga but I managed to type BEnga. Lets hope my car fixing skills are better than my typing :) I actually have a BSc, but I'm a graphic Designer - go figure :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
@Fl@pper - you have mail :) EDIT - Actually you don't - I don't appear to be able to PM you. Do I have to have a certain number of posts first before I can?

no worries - got the request and don't worry won't take ya long

if you need to can email me - click my name theres a contact link under profile

BEnga

Quick up date - Door lock is all fixed - turns out my friend has a tame Seat Parts Desk employe :) So when they changed my cam belt they did the lock too. Got a good deal on it :) Its got to go back in to get the boot lock replaced though. I hope to be able to open all the doors on my car in the near future :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members