Car caught fire!!!

Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
Underneath Mork thats about all I can see without getting car up in the air, fire started at back of engine and moved underneath as underbelly started to burn! I thought at first Turbo had eaten itself, then maybe just an oil line but hearing it run all be it very briefly it sounds So bad I gotta think rod!

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I can't understand why you need to use the insurance, if the rod has gone and the engine was to blame for all the other damage then surely SEAT should fork out for the repairs to the engine and the bits it affected when it went bang - i'd chase that angle myself!

Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
if i can get Seat to pay i will but it dont hurt to have backup, also insurance inspector is independent so more chance maybe a Seat listenin! If Seat pay for all then great but i bet they wont without a fight, insurance co has bigger guns than me, in the meantime someone has paid and my car is back! Lastly insurance are takin about replacing so much inc top mounts, brake servo maybe even ecu for future safety! Seat have problems replacing shocks in pairs under warranty, only one that fails!

Cuprawannabee

Off topic but stpete, where did you get that lcr in you av??

Poverty

I dont know about you guys but I would want the car to be written off. Fire and water damage is the worst thing that can happen to your car imo. You can never get rid of the smoke smell from the interior.

Or get the insurance company to replace the entire interior.

Last edited by a moderator:

billy

Sorry to hear what happened mate
Hope you get things sorted quick and at no cost to you.

I Know it hard but chin up

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
I dont know about you guys but I would want the car to be written off. Fire and water damage is the worst thing that can happen to your car imo. You can never get rid of the smoke smell from the interior.

Or get the insurance company to replace the entire interior.

Would tend to agree.....

Sorry to hear your bad news, happened to me about.... 20 years ago but it was an old £150 Mini....

Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
Small update, insurance inspector has put a start figure of £5.5-£6k damage but may well rise considerably!!! Seat are trying to void warranty due to Forge hoses/dv and non standard oil filter! The oil filter is a red herring since it was fitted by Awesome gti at last service but I'm not sure about rest, I thought they had to prove my mods caused failure and as it stands they havnen't even looked at car properly just said NO. So I still dont know what failed, conrod, oil feed or turbo? AHHHH
Isurance guy having another look on thursday when car is up on ramps with engine tray removed hopefully he'll spot what Seat cant or wont!!!

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
There is now way they can say that hoses or a dump valve would cause this.
These are standard items that have been upgraded and no way can that be attributed to an engine fire. You must be able to get a lawyer to compile a case for you. Perhaps even the threat of this action might be enough to make them see sense.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.