Car dead! any ideas welcome

chrisrees83

revs died and cut out at 70 on motorway!

Driving at 70mph on the motorway all good, then revs died and cut out? forced to pull over and get towed(embarrasing). tried starting engine fires then revs drop within a few seconds. anyone got any ideas or had similar problem. help would be much appreciated. cheers chris :(

turbo009

Red Lightning
Jun 15, 2008
Grimsby North East Lincs
No expert,i know someone will be on here to post a few possibilities up soon. I'M guessing boost pipe popped off,check all you pipes and have you tryed unplugging your maf ?

M87NER

MATNER
Mar 11, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
just about say check boost pipes, mine did the same on the motorway....ended up being the boost pipe on my dump valve popped off..

sparkie1984

sparky
Aug 17, 2008
I was towed off the motorway by a police mercedes 4x4

travelled by style at least :)

i was under the front of my car in a pitch black country lane, waiting to get crashed into to be honest, but was only a matter of slide pipe back on and drive off boost all the way home

chrisrees83

Checked these still failing to start. doesnt even start for a couple of seconds now. im thinking maybe fuel or spark fault! any ideas?

chrisrees83

Following my post from yesyerday bout my car dying on the motorway, i am stumped!! I have checked all boost hoses, all appear good. I have checked spark plugs and they seem wet so suggests fuel is getting there. Checked spark seems strong. I have removed the MAF connections and tried still no start. I have spotted a small electrical connection with both 2 wires broken by the bottom of the timing belt, anyone know wot this is? any help will be appreciated. just wondering do you think my ecu is cooked? cheers. chris

chrisrees83

I have had a quick look and they seem good. i have plugged in the hand held ob11 device and it doesnt bring up anything? im gonna try fix those 2 electrical connections but i dont know wot they are? im in port talbot south wales.

sparkie1984

sparky
Aug 17, 2008
ah! if you was hertfordshire i have vag com but your other end of the universe :)

its gotta be worth a punt fixing them mate, dunno what theyd be for though?? maybe it senses the timing? and if its broke it acts as if the cambelts broke and wont let it start?

im probably wrong but hey ho!

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
where about in port talbot?

give me a shout and i might be able to come up and take a look.

chrisrees83

top man. if i repair these wires and still no joy i will give you a bell. cheers mate. just out of interest how bright should the spark be? im getting a bright yellow spark but heard i should be getting a blue spark? any ideas

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members