Car won't start.

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
My brother was messing around with his airbag settings etc on Vag-com last night and has managed to disable the car.

He said he was in the airbag section and tried to activate the output test.

He also said when he looked at the fault codes everything was shorting to ground.

Is there a simple fix for this?

Theresias

That's why the manual explicitly says only do this if you really know what you are doing...

...check all control modules for fault codes, it's quite possible that some of them have fault codes stored now. Additionally the repair manual should cover details on what to do in such a case. If you get short to ground codes it is very likely there is a relay or fuse which has been triggered by this.

Can't tell you much more, but an Auto-Scan from the car should make us able to give you more details.

PlatinumR

Arrived and lovin it!!
Jul 23, 2004
Shoreham-by-Sea
if you've done an airbag output test i think the car basically gets told you've had a crash in which case everything will shut down.
as above, i would look for fuses and do a full reset.
can't help futher sorry as i've not done it myself.

Jun 28, 2001
no fuses will be gone its triggers the dtm, go into air bag(15) clear codes then go into (01) and clear codes the car will now start

andycupra

status subject to change
lol

go into airbag section and ask for an output test...
doh
at best the car will shut down, at worst you get a face full of airbag!

hope you get it sorted, but honestly... i hope you make him pay.

sounds like some sort of full reset is required, maybe a visit to a dealer :(

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
Not much chance of getting a face full of airbag - drivers has been removed!

Tried re setting the codes but no joy.

It's ok it's not my car it's his own cupra he was palying with, I'm quite happy with my nice little airbag light:D

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
Sorry for the delay on this lads but some numpty ripped out the phone line to our village with a crane!!

It was a simple fix, one of the relays had to be removed then put back in. I'll find out which one it was and post it up.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.