Catch tank fitted .....eventually

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
Nice job cowie (got your PM).

In this cold weather mine fills up every few weeks - so check it on a regular basis.

I've found the best way to empty mine is move the SAI pipe out of the way and use a little round tupperware pot with a click down lid (takes around 1ltr). That way I can undo the drain plug and then click the lid on to stop spillage.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
guys, catch can imminent now, found a split in a pipe under inlet manny

quick question, any real need to remove the brake booster bit from under then manny and blank off the y hose??

is this part of the can installation or mainly for remocing more chocolate pipework??

if i understand right

installation is

1. t off into crankcase, 1 pipe to the oil filter housing removing the pcv valve along the way, the other into top of catch can
2. other top of cc to the accumulator valve in the tip.

blank off the nipple where the vac source came from under the inlet manny that previously went to the pcv valve....

that about it?

cheers

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
It was those pipes under inlet mani after all :). You think that caused your whooshing boost problems?

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
nah probably not, just having a play around today... thought the pipe from the crankcase to pcv valve had split, finger on it... definatly split now... lol

just re read the ukmkv1s thread and it seems like you need to remove the brake booster bit... gonna go double check my car now, but looks different

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
had a look, the brake booster isnt attatched to the pcv on the auq engine, so i see no need to remove other than to eliminate more hoses....am i right??

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
Finally got some pics up of the new catch tank fitted,all seems well so far.
DSC00009.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

another thing cowie, those 19mm red silicone pipes... are they reduced onto the toyosprts can??

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
I'm looking into using catch tank as well. What is happening then under inlet manifold? What do yuu get rid of. What do you block off ? :/

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
you lose the pcv valve mate, then blank off the vac source from the inlet manny to that.

pcv valve looks t-piece shaped, with pipe going upto the crankcase and pipe going upto the inlet manny nipple.

the guide used on ukmkv1s loses the brake booster line, but from what i see it isnt connected to the pcv on auq engine.... just looking to confirm this now

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
What do you do with that hole left after you take out a breather pipe from oil filter housing?

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
you dont take anything out of the filter housing, leave the l shaped plastic oem piece in and plumb your line from the t-piece from the crankcase to it.

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
Oh of course. Everything starts to make sense now :). But James as far as i remember brake booster pipe is connected with the PCV system under inlet manni. I will check that tomorrow.

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
ive looked, seems to draw vaccum off a seperate nipple to the pcv valve, then joins to a valve then to the ypiece on inlet manny top... again need confirmation of this wheter it can be left in or needs removing if doing pcv removal.

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
that toyosport catch tank looks identical andrews greddy one - we have not fitted it tho as the inlets are around 9mm and we felt this would have a negative effect on gas flow

Last edited:

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
that got 10mm outlet then?? id say that was too much restriction awsell mark...

19mm cans are rare as and expensive if you can find one..

19-15mm reducer at the can end will be fine, infact if you sleeve over the top pof the inlet then 19mm over that, should fit fine

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
that got 10mm outlet then?? id say that was too much restriction awsell mark...

19mm cans are rare as and expensive if you can find one..

19-15mm reducer at the can end will be fine, infact if you sleeve over the top pof the inlet then 19mm over that, should fit fine

turns out its a 9mm