Catch tank fitted .....eventually

Jul 29, 2006
cumbria
www.facebook.com
another thing cowie, those 19mm red silicone pipes... are they reduced onto the toyosprts can??

No James,i just cut a small piece of the crappy pipe you get with the tank,and slipped it over the nipple on the tank,then slipped the 19mm stuff over it and tie wrapped it off,(swapped these for jubilee clips now tho).

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
No dont remove the brake booster, ;) just replace the "Y" shaped connector from the pipe and replace with a straight piece to tidy it up.

Phillc,

Sorry for being a pain and probably asking stupid questions but this brake booster is one thing im still not sure about.

Take a look at this picture

51292312.jpg

Number 23 is an elbow that comes off the bottom left side of inlet manifold. As i understand number 25 is the pipe that goes to brake booster. Number 22 is suction pump or something like that. Do you mean that i can get rid of number 22 and put a straight silicone over there to connect it straight to brake booster? Number 24 goes to pcv valve and will be removed. I think ... ;p

Thanks

:whistle:

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
but the y piece bit goes under the inlet manny for vacuum to the brake booster... from a nipple under there

It also goes to the larger nipple from the end of the manifold, TBH its ages since i saw the LC set up as i have the LCR mani, but looking at photo's listed on other threads and the one piece of the "Y" is blocked of with a bolt as this bit went to the pcv, all i am saying is to remove the "Y" and replace it with a piece of straight pipe as it is a straight now with a bolt in the one part.

Phillc,

Sorry for being a pain and probably asking stupid questions but this brake booster is one thing im still not sure about.

Take a look at this picture

51292312.jpg

Number 23 is an elbow that comes off the bottom left side of inlet manifold. As i understand number 25 is the pipe that goes to brake booster. Number 22 is suction pump or something like that. Do you mean that i can get rid of number 22 and put a straight silicone over there to connect it straight to brake booster? Number 24 goes to pcv valve and will be removed. I think ... ;p

Thanks

:whistle:

I cant really picture what it looks like in reality, so i cant help really, its alot easier to talk through it in person than like this. :D

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
You live too far Phillc. :D

IMG_0244.jpg

Using the diagram from above number 23 is that elbow coming off from under the inlet manifold (it is behind the dipstick in this photo :p. Then 22 is suction pump (looks like a letter Y a bit). Hope you know what i'm asking now :p

:D :D

Last edited:

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
well, got mine fitted today, took 1hour 30mins

seems to run smoother now with no issues at all

fairly simple install

i removed the pcv valve, and for the record on lc you do not have to remove or touch the brake booster, i didnt see any need to d so therefore left it alone

quicky guide(sorry no pics)

1. undo metal plate covering dipstick tube.. 2 allen head bolts

2. remove green clip from oil filter housing
3.remove oil l shape pipe from oil filter housing, theres a o ring in there so dont lose it
4. undo vac pipe from inlet manny to pcv valve
5. undo crankcase breather pipe on right hand side of rocker cover
6. shimmy all pipework out as 1 piece
7. remove l shaped oil filter housing pipe from the pcv valve, you will re use this piece
8. chuck the old pcv and chocolate piping away

9. 19mm pipework, from l shaped oil filter housing pipe, feed up to the crankase breather pipe on right hand side of rocker cover

10. t from the rocker cover to the pipe from oil filter housing, then feed the other side to first inlet on catchcan

11. 2nd inlet on catch can 19mm pipe directly to the accumulator valve on the tip (hocky puck shaped balck valve ontop of tip).

tighten all pipes up...

replace the l shaped pipe to the oil filter housing... place the o ring onto the pipe and push down into the housing, then replace the green clip

you then need to block off the inlet manny vac source you took off, i attatched vac piping and stuck a bolt and tightened with a jubilee clamp.

replace your dipstick you previously removed for access, reattatch the metal cover plate and your done

easy job and a worthwhile mod to replace the chocolate pcv pipes

much easier to remove the l shaped pipe from the oil filter housing as 1 piece with the other pipes, rather than try to get the 1 use clips off with it all attatched

hope this helps for easier install for you guys

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
Good work James and thanks for the tips.

have you used Toyosports catch tank?

I'm 99% convinced that my piping under inlet manni looks like this

IMG_0255.jpg

Which would mean i have to touch brake booster line :/. Really confusing as it says AUQ on my engine.

Where does the brake booster go in your engine James. I know it sounds stupid that i say its different :/

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
yup, toyosprts can, 19mm fits fine over the inlets if you use the crappy blue pipe they send you to sleeve it over...

that pic is from mk4 golf engine with different code afaik, yours should/will be the same as mine

i think youll find the pcv valve bit in the pic goes to the inlet manifold nipple to the left of the one you use for n249 bypass, and to the left of that theres another nipple the brake booster uses.. have a look under your manny and you should see 3 nipples mate

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
OK just ordered mine catch tank (they dont do square blue ones anymore ?).

I will do it on wednesday. I'm pretty sure that i will surprise you guys with information that brake booster line is different in my car (which actually is really worrying me now).

What year is your Leon James?

Mine is 2000

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
well if it is the same as the picture then its still fairly simple mate...

just undo the other vac source, blank that one off, remove the brake booster to the y piece to right of inlet manny, then replace the y piece with a strait piece of hose to the check valve....

leon cupra facelift 2002

Last edited:

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
Blanking off brake booster line should be easy. Im just worried why it is different :/

Which silicone piping have you bought James. Can you give me link on ebay to that one?

james walker

May 24, 2007
retford notts
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330346587011&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

2 metres of that one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110490634827&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

1 of those, but i didnt use it as i managed to get the hose from oil filter housing pipe to run direct to the t piece without the need for an elbow

wouldnt worry about it, if its different then its different, just a bit more to do.... remember to shimmy it all out as 1 piece or youll struggle like feck to get the clips off with it attatched

brandon888

the toyosport catch tank is 15mm ,how u gonna manage to fit the 19mm hose onto it ?

brandon888

what i mean is on the website it said 15mm inlet but the hose is 19mm ,so the hose is 4mm bigger than the inlet ...

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
I have just emptied my catch tank today. It was pretty much 100 ml of oily water. Is this ok?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise