Changing Interior Lights **GUIDE**

sharples

Jul 6, 2011
Evening everyone,

Does anyone know if the 501 map reading lights have to be CanBus if fitting an LED bulb? I'm presuming from the centre LED 264 bulbs people have used that they dont have to be CanBus?

Cheers!

azizfares

Jun 12, 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
Sorry for dragging up an old topic, but haven't actually done my interior yet. Just about to order the bulbs when I thought of something that I kept hearing people say.

Has everybody who has done this experienced the slight dim when they lock the car?
I remember people saying there was always still a slight glow. If that is most cases, i'll stick to the yellow manky light lol.

Yes i did experience this problem. Did you figure out how to solve it?

Last edited:

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
You can solve it by adding a resistor in line with the LED/ using "CAN-BUS" LEDs
LEDs use so little power that they will glow faintly under the residual current in the system.

I've got blue LEDs in my map lights, they glow ever so faintly, but tbh, you don't notice it.

Last edited:

azizfares

Jun 12, 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
You can solve it by adding a resistor in line with the LED/ using "CAN-BUS" LEDs
LEDs use so little power that they will glow faintly under the residual current in the system.

I've got blue LEDs in my map lights, they glow ever so faintly, but tbh, you don't notice it.

If i leave it will it have a negative effect on the battery?

Last edited:

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Can't see why it would, they're not drawing any extra current from the battery, just glowing on what's already in the system.
Mine have been in over 2 years and I've never had an issue.

Last edited:

markjw2

Feb 16, 2015
Just followed this guide last week and last night one of the 501 bulbs blew whilst i was sat in the car - had the map lights on for about 10 mins then it blew. anyone else had this problem?
Just worried me a bit tbh as there was quite a bit of smoke for a little led lol.
also after this happened the centre festoon now always glows slightly (im pretty sure this didnt happen before)

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
Just followed this guide last week and last night one of the 501 bulbs blew whilst i was sat in the car - had the map lights on for about 10 mins then it blew. anyone else had this problem?
Just worried me a bit tbh as there was quite a bit of smoke for a little led lol.
also after this happened the centre festoon now always glows slightly (im pretty sure this didnt happen before)

Where did you get your bulbs from this sounds a bit worrying?

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
Just did mine all work fine including number plate (which looks good). Only issue is the front light doesnt come on when the doors open. Rear works normally for that and both Map reading bulbs work when individually selected.

I have the two bulb front light, can live with the not coming on from doors as back is so bright it covers both lol. Any suggestions?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise