Clutch Judder / Engine occasionally missing

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
Right today is Wed and I go off on holiday (driving to France a week on Friday).

I am noticing more and more a couple of issues with my car (Altea XL 2.0TDI) namely

1. When cold and setting off in first, the clutch is almost "juddering". At all other times, unless I fully depress the clutch to the limit, I feel quite a bit of vibration coming through the clutch pedal

2. I have started to notice the engine "missing" at times, probably about the 2500 revs mark and usually when changed down gear ready to accelerate or if I have momentarily taken my foot off the accelerator pedal. When it got its 10k service in Jan they cured a "hesitancy" problem according to the worksheet, although I had not reported anything.

Should I phone garage and ask about these or leave till after holiday? My concern is that 99% of the time its not an issue, I am wary about putting it into the garage so close to the holiday in case their "fix" makes it worse!

Anyone encountered similar issues?

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
Put car into dealer this morning and they have just phoned to say that the clutch flywheel needs replaced. So at least it wasn't my imagination!

Though they can't find anything on the hesitancy problem but indicated that there is a slight chance that the clutch issue could have caused that as well.

Wilkip

Sep 14, 2006
My 2.0TDI also judders when pulling away but i've noticed it more when the weather is damp.
I feel like getting it into the deal ASAP as my warranty is up in September.

Anyone else ???

cadman2k

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
Altea clutch Judder

I purchased my 2.0TDI sport in 2004 with 3 K Miles on the clock.
On the test drive I remember experiencing some clutch judder pulling away in 1st but just put it down to the car being a diesel.
Then had the car a couple of year 25,000 mile later and the recall came up re: Flywheel.
I put it in for the recall and indeed flywheel needed Immediate replacement.
Once done, no more clutch judder , all cured.!
Car now still going strong with 60K miles on clock.

Would recommend any kind of clutch judder for you to insist dealer checks flywheel under either a recall or if car is still in warranty.

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
the clutch judder will cause a feeling of hesitancy - we have done a few under warranty. SEAT actually flew a tech over to help us with a 'misfire' which turned out to be the flywheel. The judder just made it feel like another fault.

Alty

I have an 08 2.0 TDI Altea XL and have noticed since new that there is sometimes a hesitancy when pulling away but I wouldn't say it was a judder . It is often most noticeable on hill starts ,almost as if the engine has died momentarily resulting in the clutch having to be depressed and the engine given plenty of revs Could this be a symptom of the flywheel problem or is it just a trait of this engine.

My previous 1.9 TDI Altea didn't have this problem. Should I mention it at the first service this week?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

mocuishe

What about DSg auto box? Does it have dual mass flywheel? Mine was exactly the same 37k on the clock.

Wilkip

Sep 14, 2006
Is this a re-call thing or should i just complain about the juddering?????
Warranty up in Septemeber so i want to get it all done before it starts costing me!

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
Its not a recall, but it is a known fault, so just complain but maybe do it before your car goes in so that they can have the spare parts ready for you.

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
not that easy im afraid - there are 2 different types of flywheel and the only way to identify which is on a vehicle is to get it on a ramp and check it manually, there is an inspection aperture. we would test drive the car to ascertain the fault and book it in for 2 days - one day to identify and order parts overnight, and second day to repair. all dealers can order parts overnight (vor) without financial penalty providing order is placed before 2.00pm

Wilkip

Sep 14, 2006
Car is now booked in for this Wednesday, will report back on whats going on!

Wilkip

Sep 14, 2006
Dealer could not fault the car......
Another wasted trip to the dealers........
Shame we dont get fuel compensation back and forth !!!!!!!

JAER

Also got this engine "judder" on TDI 140 2007 (BMM) between 1500-2000 rpm, only on warm engine. Workshop find no fault codes so help there..... I follow a thread in a Swedish Skoda forum. Will post here if any thing comes up at the Skoda forum.

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
i would have thought it would be reasonable to put this down to an out of balance dual mass flywheel???? as its a mechanical issue it wont show up on guided fault finding hence no error codes :confused::shrug:

JAER

In my case it is misfire, however I am not sure of how the dual mass flywheel works. Maybe the unbalance in the flywheel can come at irregular occasions, fooling the electronics. It is only then I accelerates between 1500-2000 rpm, warm engine. (sorry about my English, after a few drinks it gets worse ......)

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
Well I am back from my eventful trip in France and the car is going back to dealer on Tues to get the new air intake pipe fitted that they had previously not fitted correctly, resulting in it being shredded by the fans.

However, I am going to ask them to look at the hesitancy at 2500 revs again. I have just done 2700 miles in the car, much of it at motorway speeds and this is very very noticeable. When I have maybe sped up to overtake and then momentarily take my foot off accelerator then there is definitely a "miss". It happened time and time again and much as I tried to avoid it, 2500 revs in 6th gear is just the point where you are sitting at that 70/80mph speed.

No doubt they will still say nothing is showing up on the diagnostics though - where were we before diagnostic eqpt!!

Tenbellies

Well I am back from my eventful trip in France and the car is going back to dealer on Tues to get the new air intake pipe fitted that they had previously not fitted correctly, resulting in it being shredded by the fans.

However, I am going to ask them to look at the hesitancy at 2500 revs again. I have just done 2700 miles in the car, much of it at motorway speeds and this is very very noticeable. When I have maybe sped up to overtake and then momentarily take my foot off accelerator then there is definitely a "miss". It happened time and time again and much as I tried to avoid it, 2500 revs in 6th gear is just the point where you are sitting at that 70/80mph speed.

No doubt they will still say nothing is showing up on the diagnostics though - where were we before diagnostic eqpt!!

i have the same in my motor do you think i need to go to the dealers too ?????
i have had the car 5 weeks now (altea xl 07 plate) i put it down to new car driving but having done 5k in the car ther is a deffo missfire at 70-80mph in 6th ?????????:-o

Tenbellies

i have the same in my motor do you think i need to go to the dealers too ?????
i have had the car 5 weeks now (altea xl 07 plate) i put it down to new car driving but having done 5k in the car ther is a deffo missfire at 70-80mph in 6th ?????????:-o

Also should ther be a cc light on the dash when on coz i dont have on ??????:confused:

Tenbellies

Car now booked in at the dealers as the missfire is getting no better and its a missing to on cold star-up :( we will see on sat ??????

Tenbellies

just got motor back from dealers and the altea xl has a wiring harness recall with has sorted out my issuses along with a ecu reprogram all seems ok for the mo the noise coming from the passager side dash is a fualty vent and one is on order so ...........we will have to see :)