Coilovers, ARB,drop links

neilmacd

I've just recently has Spax RSX coilovers fitted and I'm very impressed with them, but I'd like to go lower at the front, mainly for the visual effect.

Having read some previous threads concerning the topic what I can gather is to avoid rubbing on the drive shaft I need longer drop links as a minimum, perhaps an upraded ARB and maybe even the top mounts and bearings replacing.

What i wanted to know was of the lads who've fitted coilovers what set up have they gone for? Having already spent a couple grand on the car this year I'm keen to go for the cheapest option, but not at the expense of damaging my car. I have a 52 plate LC, 18" OZ wheels that should'nt rub if I lower the front a bit more.

Any advice, recommendations, good results/bad results all appreciated

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
I would avoid drop links as IMO they are a workaround. Upgrading the front ARB is always a good thing as you will have less body roll and a more planted feel all round. However, I recommend adding/upgrading a rear ARB also.

There are numerous manufacturers of after market ARB's, I used H&R on my Golf4 (same as yours) which was great although perhaps a little too stiff. I find the Neuspeed items are quality and perfect but pricier.

Unless the top mounts are knackered there is no need to replace them.

Trickthedick

Nov 10, 2007
Don;t go lower at the front it'll upsest the geometry (vitally important at front on fwd) and balance causing it overload it on corner entry.

If anything lower the back a little ;-)

Trust me....and watch the feel and grip you get on corner exit....

miniator

Jun 23, 2006
to sort that problem out i bought a FK ARB with the larger hoop. still didnt quite sort it so after an afternoon of testing i found that if i took the metal droplinks, cut them in half and welded them back together to pull the ARB closer to the driveshaft.

never had any bother since, i just have to change them for the mot.

as for lower at the back, that just looks like the car is broken and is just as daft looking. ive the front of my car slightly lower at the front, to give that balanced/slightly nose down attitude.

Trickthedick

Nov 10, 2007
Daft or good looking over practicality is always owner choice. Personally I love eating tarts on the road...but when it comes to weights and corner wieghts you just can't defy gravity nor physics.

You never look so daft as being beaten out of corners though. But the lowered front end was a fecker of a setup...grounding out, imbalanced on corner entry (and I like understeer) it was pure rubbish.

Lifted the front by a whole inch and now we got some handling...these things are for driving not for posing (I hope)

miniator

Jun 23, 2006
Daft or good looking over practicality is always owner choice. Personally I love eating tarts on the road...but when it comes to weights and corner wieghts you just can't defy gravity nor physics.

You never look so daft as being beaten out of corners though. But the lowered front end was a fecker of a setup...grounding out, imbalanced on corner entry (and I like understeer) it was pure rubbish.

Lifted the front by a whole inch and now we got some handling...these things are for driving not for posing (I hope)

well mines a 110 tdi, so its not going anywhere fast hence my setup.

as for lowering the back more, it doesnt make sense how that helps you exit a corner. could you please ellaborate?

Trickthedick

Nov 10, 2007
Nope! Trade secret...some is to do with weight transfer and the natural behaviour of fwd under acceleration, it's an age old rallycross setup and one I'm pleased to see being adopted by another member on here who's seems to know what he's doing.

I know appearance is important to you and that's fine...I don't think this will be an issue as the Ibiza rides quite high anyway but just watch out for ground clearance, more so under braking...it is a real pain in da a*se when yer pride and joy grounds out regularly.

Wouldn't be right if that friendly tip wasn's passed on.....

noblem14

ok
how about getting the balance right.... that is the balance between handling and looks. i am selling my mk4 golf which was lowered 40 all round and now have a tdi remmaped 110 in garage and am waiting delivery on some gmax coilys. i was thinking 25mm all round?

Trickthedick

Nov 10, 2007
Wouldn't touch Spax, they leak easy and Spax won;t uphold warranty. Wouldn;t go coilovers to be honest just get a well balanced ready made kit and save the dosh.

Coilovers sound good when boasting to yer mates but if you don;t know about vehicle geometry be honest with yourself and don;t touch