Cold air feed to the air filter. What you got?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
As title asks....

Ive got cone air filter and heat shield.
Using the standard cold air pipe from standard air filter housing at the moment.

But, i had the bumper off at the weekend and left the piece of plastic out (goes behind the ns headlamp) that the pipe attaches too.
Only way to fit it properly is to have the bumper off again.
Im happy to do that but interested to know if theres a larger capacity pipe i can use to improve the air flow to the filter?
Happy to modify sead piece of plastic to take larger pipe. But what do you reccomended.

2 things. No holes in the front bumper and gotta be budget friendly :)

Cheers Rich

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
I've seen a hole straight through the wing and a bonnet scoop - am curious about the wing but have no details .
Alternatively just get a piece of 3 inch flexi cold air feed pipe and run it as close to the original inlet (on the front panel) as possible

Reactions: Rich.T

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Ive thought about a hole in the wing.
I fitted a front mount cooler at the weekend. Thats when i left the plastic piece out that the ducting connects to.
Anyway, to fit the pipework to the cooler you have to leave the old twin cooler ductings out.
So now, the air that is blown into the bottom corners of the bumper is blustering about between the inner wing and the plastic inner arch.
Its a good call and should work. But not sure i want to cut a hole in my inner wing.
Saying that, it could be done out of site.

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I simply binned the original narrow plastic duct run a larger flexible pipe from the original intake location up along side the battery box.
It's barely visible once the battery and cover are fitted and it's got to be better than puny oe part surely?
690818695f1f4d2c8126695ef6ce918b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Yeh, the oe part doesn't look big enough for a standard car.
1st point of restriction i guess.
What would you say that pipe is? 2.5, 3 inch?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Going to get the tape measure out tomorrow and see whats what.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
I simply binned the original narrow plastic duct run a larger flexible pipe from the original intake location up along side the battery box.
It's barely visible once the battery and cover are fitted and it's got to be better than puny oe part surely?
690818695f1f4d2c8126695ef6ce918b.jpg

Out of interest what heat shield is that as it looks a nice one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Out of interest what heat shield is that as it looks a nice one?

It's from Badger5, it's pretty decent apart from it needed an additional mounting point onto the bulkhead to fully secure it and stop it vibrating.
I plan to get it powdercoated black at some point.

Reactions: Scotty_b

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I plan on doing something basic like a pipe to the filter maybe from down by the bumper or the grill.

The thing stopping me is the last part of the stock intake needs the bumper off to remove it. Spring time job i think,

Reactions: Sl1ced

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
My pipe turned up today.
Gotta take the bumper off next weekend so will fit it then.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Just had a thought regarding cold air feeds on turbo cars - pointless exercise ?.
Thinking about it , it serves no purpose - so you are sending cold air into a very hot turbo which by nature of compressing the air heats it up , this is why we have intercoolers it takes that hot air and cools it down , the cold air feed has no impact.
The only way it might have any marginal impact would be if it was extremely cold and the compressor stage was heat isolated from the exhaust and spinning slowly.

Just a thought.....

Reactions: Rich.T and Sl1ced

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Its more capacity than anything.
As much air as the engine wants to gulp in, it can have. Just not from the engine bay.
The cooler air is more of a bye product and happy bonus.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Just had a thought regarding cold air feeds on turbo cars - pointless exercise ?.
Thinking about it , it serves no purpose - so you are sending cold air into a very hot turbo which by nature of compressing the air heats it up , this is why we have intercoolers it takes that hot air and cools it down , the cold air feed has no impact.
The only way it might have any marginal impact would be if it was extremely cold and the compressor stage was heat isolated from the exhaust and spinning slowly.

Just a thought.....
I think its hilarious

Stock airbox is sealed and only gets cold air direct from front of the car.
Modder whacks big stinking cone filter on in the engine bay, drawing in all these hot engine temps, then adds heatshield and cold air hose to front of the car.
So you still have increased temps from the engine bay and you are sooking in more crap (they filter less) into your turbo.

Waste of time

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I think its hilarious

Modder whacks big stinking cone filter on in the engine bay, drawing in all these hot engine temps, then adds heatshield and cold air hose to front of the car.
So you still have increased temps from the engine bay and you are sooking in more crap (they filter less) into your turbo.

Waste of time

...if your car is stock. Otherwise its a choke point.

Reactions: Thai-wronghorse

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
I think its hilarious

Waste of time

Isn’t t idea to increase the volume of air freely available? Put a gas mask on and go for a run. Surely the same principle?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I think its hilarious

Waste of time

Im just doing what i want to do to my car.
Ive had it a year now and its had a few mods.
But also in that time its had 2 full services using SEAT parts.
Its not an old dog thats just had crap screwed to it.
Everything its had has been questioned on here to people who have more experience of the brand than i do.

The car is straight, drives firmly with no rattles and dare i say, no waterleaks.
Its driven with care and probably seen the top side of 3500rpm a hand full of times since ive owned it.

The standard pipe is restrictive on a standard car.

I want the best for my car and all modifications are carefully considered.

As i sead above, i just want decent air flow to the filter.
The cooling air affect is just a bonus.

Rich

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members