Common problem? Fuel pressure sensor snapped off

H8T WP

Ok some of you may remember when i had my silver l=leon mk2 cupra i had a big problem with it where by the engine went in to limp mode and no one knew what was going on...

Well the same has happened to my k1 and this time we obviosuly know the problem.. seeing as this has happened to me twice now, i just want everyone to be aware.

Basically due to wheel spins or engine vibration, the oem engine cover plastic (held on by 4 rubber bump stop things) has came loose and is ratteling around/up and down etc and is only being held in place by the air intake.

Now this ratteling movement has snapped the prongs off the fuel pressure sensor ( very bad position as its right under the cover to the right) therefore sending the car into limp mode...

I knew instantly what had happened when it happened and got the AA out, He managed to solder it back in place and jam a drinks bottle between engine cover and bonnet to stop more movment.

so my advice is to check if your cover has come loose, even by one rubber holder, the only alternative i can see is to get an aftermarket air filter and totally remove the oem cover so it cant vibrate and smash the fuel pressure sensor.

cheers for reading.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
This also happened to another member on here and he ended up having to pay for a new fuel pump to be fitted as the Stealer believed foul play on his part for the engine cover not fitting properly.

The engine cover really is a clever but poorly designed piece of crap.

H8T WP

well luckilly i drove about 20 feet in limp mode as not to damage the car and its timing and fueling .. that might of been why the other member needed a whole new pump.

its still in repair now so lets see how it goes

warren_cox

Back from the dead
mine is only fitted by 3 of its prongs as the front nearside connection point has 'sheared off'. I didn't do it so I don't know if it is a wear and tear issue or whether dealer may have one it by mistake. The bits look replaceable so on that note I will get it changed as it vibrates like hell when I start her up.

H8T WP

well the car is still in for repair almost a week on, lets hope the engine cover is being more secured!

H8T WP

mines at M1 Autos and i just got a call, its ready to collect...

error was (fuel pressure sensor circuit open) something like that , it snapped off at the plug basically

my engine cover always seem to come loose tho, does any one elses?

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
at least urs has only been a week.
was promised a call from SEAT this morning and guess what?

cant the engine cover be removed like the mk1? or is it cause of the air box assy and charge pipe?

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
at least urs has only been a week.
was promised a call from SEAT this morning and guess what?

cant the engine cover be removed like the mk1? or is it cause of the air box assy and charge pipe?

engine cover contains the air filter.

H8T WP

got car on lunch, all working.. not poped bonnet to see if engine cover is fully secure tho.

JD_SCN

The neuspeed intake system has a sensor slot, but i think this should be brought left towards the drivers side, the cable for the sensor is at full stretch now, looks like a sharp movement or force called disconnect it.

JD_SCN

nah i was talking about the maf sensor, just thought i'd bring the subject up whilst we're on design faults. My standard setup fitted fine and was plenty of give in the cable

edit- oh and now I don't have to worry about the engine cover as it has been removed when i installed the intake...looks poor, thinking about the neuspeed carbon one, don't fancy chopping the original up

Last edited by a moderator: