Condensation in 3rd brake light!

robertj

weight is the enemy
Just noticed this yesterday. Before I start pulling things apart I thought I'd ask on here whether anyone else has had this condensation problem and managed to solve it.
I guess if it's not sorted the bulbs will start failing as corrosion sets in?

DSC_3724.jpg

DSC_3723.jpg

Big Ejit

Wassamarranow?
Aug 8, 2007
Brum
Had condensation in there for the past 4 years and had no bother from it. Lights still work fine. Its something you will never fully cure as the strip is not sealed and its in a wet area of the vehicle.

It dries out in the summer and thats with me washing the whole car every couple of days. Just don't hose it stupid with gallons of water or you might force it to fill up!

robertj

weight is the enemy
Thanks chaps, will have a closer look later. Guess I'll have to go easy with the pressure washer around that area for the time being.
I've had the car from new and it's been fine up to now. I guess it's just starting to show its age :( (a bit like me I think!)

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
cracked rear lense, every cupra/cupra R ive seen has it, they all crack underside, i personally think its a design fault

mines cracked, theyre £62 new from the dealers,you cant buy the lense its the complete LED cluster unit,

sean443

mine has abit off condensation in mine but has had no effect on the light but i also get it in my boot clusters

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I fail my MOT with mine due to 'stuff' being in there, including beasties etc

It's a ball ache to do.

There is a guide in here for it.
I got a new one from David at Seremotors for about £50

Let me know if you want any more info on changing this.

robertj

weight is the enemy
I fail my MOT with mine due to 'stuff' being in there, including beasties etc

It's a ball ache to do.

There is a guide in here for it.
I got a new one from David at Seremotors for about £50

Let me know if you want any more info on changing this.

Cheers Willie, I might pick your brains on this once I've had a look. Sounds like quite a common problem. I'm surprised it's only just presented itself to be honest.
I'll pulling it apart tomorrow if I have time.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
To get into it you need to remove the inner trim inside the boot, on the roof part under the spoiler.

You'll notice three rubber covers over very small studs with nuts.

Remove the rubber covers and carefully back off the nuts, the studs are not held in strongly and being careful here save pain later.

With the nuts backed out all thats holding this on now is the electrical lead. This needs fed through the inner boot trim to free it off.

To remove the light from the spoiler remove the two pieces of tape and you'll notice, with a torch two retaining screws, back these off and your light is free.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.