COOL remote windows feature available now!!!

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
It should but I couldn't get it to work that way for some reason. Luckily I've got an old machine running windows 98 so you can boot straight into dos. Anyway google vds pro and check it out.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Don't worry about the version of Windows on the laptop, the decision to boot from disc is a BIOS function. You can take the hard drive out of your laptop and the disc will still work fine!

However, some laptops do have the boot from disc option turned off, so they'll come straight into Windows. If yours goes to Windows despite having the disc in, check the boot up sequence for the BIOS button (I think it's F11 or F1 on the majority of laptops) then find out where it decides what to boot from. There should be a choice of a few depending on the age of the laptop, but just make sure CD/DVD is first. Then save and reboot.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
That's what should happen but for some reason my laptop kept coming up saying there's not enough memory. It would start booting from the cd fine but fail.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
How bizarre. It does use the memory as a temporary RAM drive, but it only uses a few hundred kilobytes, less than a floppy disk if I remember correctly. There shouldn't be a laptop in existence that doesn't have enough memory!

Have you tried any other versions of the software, perhaps one that uses extended memory?

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Nah I didn't need to so gave up, I have a really old thing here running win 98. I just put the software on C:\windows, boot into doss and run it from there. I had a lot of coding to do because I got a ccm from a hatchback to use when doing the electrics retrofit into the estate. It's great, I've got vagcom on it as well now and just use it all the time. I still need to find the battery for it though lol, you take out the battery to add other things but it's been put somewhere mysterious :D

Last edited:

czaki

Mar 21, 2012
Hungary
I tested it today, works a treat:
-HP laptop running Vista
-2003 Leon Cupra R (comfort module 1C0 959 799 F)
-generic USB-OBD cable (KKL) just like this one
I have the same comfort module... The program works great, reads and writes the EEPROM properly, but when I try to use the feature, nothing happens. :(

I followed the exact steps of the guide. :confused:

What could be the problem?

czaki

Mar 21, 2012
Hungary
Are you holding the remote button long enough?
Yeah, I've tried holding it 5-10 seconds and nothing happens. No error during flashing. And I can enable/disable the alarm chirp via MKM without any problems. Maybe the battery in my key is not strong enough to send the signal? :confused:

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
Yeah, I've tried holding it 5-10 seconds and nothing happens. No error during flashing. And I can enable/disable the alarm chirp via MKM without any problems. Maybe the battery in my key is not strong enough to send the signal? :confused:

it does drain my battery a lot

stupot_1982

Oct 26, 2012
sorry to dig this back up again, I thought I would give the window roll up a go. (Fail)

I have the USB Cable and the drivers including vag com lite. I also have the Czech software. Now I have a windows xp laptop and installed the drivers correctly and it set to COM 3. I either get 'No response from controller' in VagCom, or I get 'unit not responding' in the Czech software. I have tried changing Com ports and following this guide thoroughly, but jsut cannot get any form of two way communication! I would like to think I am computer literate since I have a computing degree, but this is embarassing!

Please can anyone shed some light on this??:(

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I'm going to start with the really obvious one first. Did you turn the ignition on? VAGCOM won't work without the ignition on, don't start the car though.

stupot_1982

Oct 26, 2012
I'm going to start with the really obvious one first. Did you turn the ignition on? VAGCOM won't work without the ignition on, don't start the car though.

Hi, yes tried with the ignition off, on, and started. i researched a little to find conflicting ignition points required, so i tried them all! The only thing I have just thought of is a fuse..? The cable I bought also lights up nicely when plugged into the port

stupot_1982

Oct 26, 2012
Hi, yes tried with the ignition off, on, and started. i researched a little to find conflicting ignition points required, so i tried them all! The only thing I have just thought of is a fuse..? The cable I bought also lights up nicely when plugged into the port

Time to try it on another laptop. Checked fuses so it's not that...

Am I getting confused with which vagcom software to use? I hve been using the free vagcom on the CD I got with my ebay cable

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
The VAGCOM software is the best option to test the lead and the ports (pc and car). However, it can't do anything with the windows. The Czech software can do the windows, but being in a different language it's difficult to fault find if it doesn't work.

Once you've got VAGCOM set up and working, then you switch to the Czech stuff and do the business. But you're not at that stage yet.

I should have asked earlier what car are you doing this on? Also, has your head unit been replaced at any point, as that can mess up the OBDII port.

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
sorry to dig this back up again, I thought I would give the window roll up a go. (Fail)

I have the USB Cable and the drivers including vag com lite. I also have the Czech software. Now I have a windows xp laptop and installed the drivers correctly and it set to COM 3. I either get 'No response from controller' in VagCom, or I get 'unit not responding' in the Czech software. I have tried changing Com ports and following this guide thoroughly, but jsut cannot get any form of two way communication! I would like to think I am computer literate since I have a computing degree, but this is embarassing!

Please can anyone shed some light on this??:(

I thought you needed a serial cable to do the windows, that's what I did mine with using vds pro I think, I've just re-read the first post and that says serial cable needed...

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
I thought you needed a serial cable to do the windows, that's what I did mine with using vds pro I think, I've just re-read the first post and that says serial cable needed...

nope, i did mine ages ago with a £7 usb cable from ebay and Czech software

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
The serial cable was the original way, about halfway through someone posted the czech app which is easier to use but doesnt always work. For new people i would suggest the czech app first, then serial vds pro second.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members