Coolant 3 Beep Help!!!! Not The Usual One.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Someone please help me before I burn my car to the ground! Lol

I keep getting the three beeps from the coolant and the red light flashing.

Now ordinarily id say it’s the prongs on the header tank sensor, but as I hav no tank and the wires are spliced together surely it cant be that?

Now there is plenty of coolant in the system, temp never goes past the 90-93 is range but normally sits at the high 70’s low 80’s – as shown on the Scangauge and Vag com. Shows 90 solid on the clocks.

Is there any other sensor in the coolant system that could be triggering this fault?

Thanks.

Phil.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
I used to get this randomly about once every couple of months mate and there was nothing wrong with any of the coolant system either. Was very weird and never got to the bottom of it.

andycupra

status subject to change
well 3 beeps is a warning for coolant level.

Pj, i suspect while your coolant level may have been in the ok range, perhaps it was towards to lower end. did it do it more in cold weather? (coolant levels are lower)
topping it up towards the upper end of the range usually sorts it.

Phil, - while you say you have spliced the wires together, do i take it that you have literally cut the wires and connected them?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
South Wales

Pj, i suspect while your coolant level may have been in the ok range, perhaps it was towards to lower end. did it do it more in cold weather? (coolant levels are lower)

Phil, - while you say you have spliced the wires together, do i take it that you have literally cut the wires and connected them?

Yes, cut and joined the wires together.

But, ive been thinking of this, and im sure the ecu/sensor will see some sort of resistance that will increase as the coolant warms up.

Ive been searching about the net and vortex etc.. and it looks like the good old 330ohm resistor will work which kinda make sense looking at the resistance of water which is about 0.5-300 ohms so coolant is probably topwards the top end.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey

No my coolant was always well topped up, al the sensors were changed and they were all clean etc. Just used to do it randomly. Like a little glitch.

andycupra

status subject to change
i was also thinking or wondering wether having the wires directly connected meant that the signal was out of tolerance.. rather thank being 'low' the signal is too good and defaults to a fail?
Interesting.

I cant see that it being sophisticated to the extent that the ecu would register a change in resistance according to coolant temperature.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
That does make sense tho as it seems to happen more when the temp hits running temp, around 90 degrees which is around about the time where the resistance is the most.

Im gonna throw on a 330ohm resistor as thats apparently works like anything else on this bloody car. lol.

andycupra

status subject to change
That does make sense tho as it seems to happen more when the temp hits running temp, around 90 degrees which is around about the time where the resistance is the most.

Im gonna throw on a 330ohm resistor as thats apparently works like anything else on this bloody car. lol.

when the coolant is hot any resistance coule possibily be less as the coolant level would be higher and more of the pronngs would be submerged.

but anyway as you say as you have cut and connected the wires the temperature should make no difference, unless you say the programming is expecting difference figures from the sensor based on temperature. But i cant believe this to be true as that really would be over-engineering the issue. Its a fundamentally simply sensor and IMO not a sensor that you could design such a complex system around that would also require a specific coolant level.

Last edited:

emlyn11

Oct 28, 2008
Surrey
This happened on mine after I did the thermostat and just had an air lock so bled it out and that
was that. But yes, probably level sensor related.

Emlyn

Raxx

PhilW, did you find a resolution for the problem? I have a strange one too, same beeping and coolant warning on a MK2 Toledo 1.8 (1999). I've changed the CTS (4pin), rad thermoswitch, coolant header tank, renewed coolant & stat to no avail (yes coolant is at correct level). I get the red flashing light and 3 beeps no matter what kind of day it is, I've read many many posts that this always happens when the weather is cold, not in my case I get it even if it's 30deg outside !. It dissapears once the engine temp goes above 45deg (diagnostic readout from ecu), strangely though i've noticed when the ecu reports 75deg the needle on the dash sits at 90 spot on..... it's been like this since I bought the car last year in the summer (prev tosspot owner failed to tell me). If anyone does know what this could be I need to be enlightened......

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.