Coolant levels

sebasti0n

Nov 6, 2006
Had to put a pint of water into the water system a couple of months back.. As it is now getting rather frosty I was wondering if there is a way of checking if the coolent/antifreeze level is strong enough ???

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Well you have diluted the mixture by 1 pint so adding say 200ml of antifreeze liquid, wont do it no harm.

Tap/bottled water should only be poured in an absoloute emergency and should be re mixed with coolant fluid asap!

It says this in the manual;)

You'll find out 1 morning in december when the fluid in your tank has turned to ice lol:D ;)

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
I forget the name of it (Hydrometer or something like that), but you can buy a thing that that sucks up the coolant, then depending on how strong the concentration is, different coloured balls in the tube will float or sink. Its usually a long clear tube, with a rubber ball thing on the end that you squeeze and draw coolant into it.

sebasti0n

Nov 6, 2006
Ok cheers... by the way can i use any regular antifreeze, as the manual refers to G12 something or other ???

Ok cheers... by the way can i use any regular antifreeze, as the manual refers to G12 something or other ???

in a word No you should only use VAG coolant and even that depends on what your running in the engine.

G11 = Green, wont mix with anything but water
G12 = Pink, As above,
G12+ = Pink, Apparently will mix with both :confused:

So go to the dealers and by some g12+, the mixing instructions are on the bottle.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
you must use G12,its developed especially for the engine,not expensive and available from any VAG dealership.
and from what i have read a hydrometer is no good with G12,but again i'm sure a dealer wouldn't charge you much to check properly.
and iirc its G12+ now

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members