Coolant Loss

Noname21

Oct 4, 2018
Hello folks,

I've have a 2014 2.0 tdi that is losing coolant. I've had it at a lot of mechanics and pressure tests have been performed and nothing can be found. Its been going in now for months and seems to have gotten worse since I have started using the heating.

I've replaced the coolant bottle and also some housing unit also there cost me alot of money but still no fix.

Has anyone had a similar issue... It seems it be common but I haven't seen anyone that has fixed it to be honest.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
How much does it lose over time? I'm not sure where the heater matrix is, but you don't have damp areas in the footwells do you?
Any traces of coolant under the car when it's been standing?

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
a fault with the egr cooler can cause coolant loss.

Not saying yours in definitely doing this, just something else to consider.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
The best fix for you is to sell or px the car and pass the design fault problem onto the next owner. I had a mk7 golf GTD (same engine as SEAT use in FR184TDI) and it also used coolant from new, I got rid after 2 years so not my problem now.

Reactions: kanyewest

JonnyH

Feb 26, 2017
Can you send a photo of the coolant bottle? Also does the coolant smell almost burnt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noname21

Oct 4, 2018
The best fix for you is to sell or px the car and pass the design fault problem onto the next owner. I had a mk7 golf GTD (same engine as SEAT use in FR184TDI) and it also used coolant from new, I got rid after 2 years so not my problem now.
Wow it used coolant from new..... That's mental

Noname21

Oct 4, 2018

Attachments

• IMG_20181004_211935.jpg
    IMG_20181004_211935.jpg
    610.9 KB · Views: 154

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
No smoke and head gasket is 100%

Stupid question, did they actually take the cylinder head off and inspect the head gasket? I recently found out that a headgasket can leak externally (no oil in coolant, no coolant or smoke out exhaust). My headgasket was leaking out the back of the engine, running round the front and into the cambelt casing.

Noname21

Oct 4, 2018
Stupid question, did they actually take the cylinder head off and inspect the head gasket? I recently found out that a headgasket can leak externally (no oil in coolant, no coolant or smoke out exhaust). My headgasket was leaking out the back of the engine, running round the front and into the cambelt casing.

No head wasn't removed....40,000 miles on the car. Its noticeably increased in coolant usage since the cold weather set in as i am now using the heater

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I'd just hit 43,000 when my headgasket went. I assume they've checked all the obvious? Hoses, waterpump?

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
I had this problem twice.

The first time was the egr valve/cooler and gasket. Coolant would be evaporated by the exhaust so really hard to spot.

The second time was a tiny hole in the radiator where it would really slowly leak out and like yourself use more when heating was on. The car has 2 radiators sandwiched together so it could be damaged on either of them, so both need to be taken off to inspect.

2 completly different faults and both have the exact same symptom.

Had both things replaced and the cars been fine since

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
A cylinder leak down test will show if a head gasket is leaking, bubbles in radiator when it's running is also a fairly certain sign. Although I had one case of that caused by a badly clogged radiator. That's quite rare.
A cooling system pressure test will show if there is actually a leak in the system.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise