Cracked tail lights

Stagsfell

Feb 16, 2015
Have been keeping an eye on my rear light clusters and cracking has now developed in the offside, front edge, nearest the wheel arch and appears to have started on the inside. Service dept agreed no sign of external damage and will try to get it replaced under warranty. Car booked in next week - will report outcome.

Had the car in this morning and the cracked osr cluster was replaced, under warranty, while I waited, by my dealer, so happy with the outcome on this one (unless the others go!).

Incidentally I have the Tech Pack (led rear lights) and assume the issue is confined to them - but wonder if anyone had cracks in "normal" rears?

Last edited:

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Just checked mine and the driver's side has a slight split. I reckon it can wait until the next service - it was probably like that when i got it :/

Stagsfell

Feb 16, 2015
Had the car in this morning and the cracked osr cluster was replaced, under warranty, while I waited, by my dealer, so happy with the outcome on this one (unless the others go!)

I spoke too soon - a thorough check of the replacement lamp shows FOUR cracks developing from the inside, two of which are in exactly the same place as the original lamp.

Reported back to dealer and agreed to leave it until service in a couple of months unless it drastically worsens.

Last edited:

Peter W

Aug 8, 2014
Larne, County Antrim
Mine have steadily gotten worse since my last photos. Still haven't took it to the dealers yet. I have notified them about the problem. It's due service in a couple of months. They'll look at them then.

Stagsfell

Feb 16, 2015
Further check on my car reveals a crack now starting in the ns lamp.

Took my wife's Mii in for service this morning and while at the dealers checked the lamps on their used Leons out of interest (sad, I know!) - two thirds had cracks developing in one or both lamps.

Peter W

Aug 8, 2014
Larne, County Antrim
Thanks trebor,

Does yourself or anyone know the bulletin reference, or would anyone kindly PM me their registration (if you've successfully had a warranty replacement), incase i need to take this further with SEAT UK?

Heres some snaps of the offending area, look familiar?

Thanks in advance,
Familiar indeed. Looks like the way mine started. Expect them to get worse. I finally got around to getting mine looked at by the dealers today. New ones were promptly ordered as soon as they saw them. Under warranty of course. No questions asked! That's Wilsons of rathkenny SEAT in Ballymena

Benjiman

Sep 20, 2014
Bristol
Anyone have the technical bulletin on this? Mine are suffering and my stealers are useless numpties..

*edit* - Ha! Love the auto description provided of Stealer. Unfortunately founded in my case.

Last edited:

oldsteve

Feb 8, 2013
Anyone have the technical bulletin on this? Mine are suffering and my stealers are useless numpties..

*edit* - Ha! Love the auto description provided of Stealer. Unfortunately founded in my case.

I'd noticed condensation in my nearside light so took it to the dealer but as soon as they looked they could see a crack which I swear wasn't there a week earlier when I washed it. They say it must have been damaged in a car park or something (without putting a mark anywhere on the rest of the surrounding bodywork would you believe??) so it's not covered by warranty and quoted me £156 to replace it! I've noticed a crack starting in the offside lens too.

They've said if they replace the light and then find a fault then they'll make a warranty claim. Yeah, like that's going to happen!! I'm not going to hand £300 over so need to have the argument first so something like a technical bulletin would be extremely useful.

Peter W

Aug 8, 2014
Larne, County Antrim
I was fortunate enough to have a sympathetic dealer after starting this thread, to have them replaced under warranty with no questions asked. I took the car in, armed with my laptop to show them this forum if need be. I didn't need to even show it. It just shows the difference between dealers. You could take it to another dealer, or go straight to SEAT customer services. Email them a link to this thread and anything else you can find online. You'll know where not to buy your next car from if they don't replace them....

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
I've just noticed my tails lights are cracked and emailed a the photos to the dealer I bought it from a month ago. They have apparently forwarded the case to their services department so I will wait to hear. Let's hope Crewe seat is a good dealer.

Orbiter

Orbiter
Apr 3, 2015
Perhaps you could post your photos, are the cracks in the same place as other owners? I also bought a Leon from Crewe Seat and I got the impression they would be pretty fair with a genuine problem. Lets hope they are as good as their first impression!

JoeleonFR

Jan 4, 2014
Crewe
Good evening,

Apologies for the late response - There is a TPI applicable for this fault which basically means it is an issue that SEAT are aware of, if cracks on vehicles tail lights meet this criteria we will then replace them under warranty.

Thanks!

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
Perhaps you could post your photos, are the cracks in the same place as other owners? I also bought a Leon from Crewe Seat and I got the impression they would be pretty fair with a genuine problem. Lets hope they are as good as their first impression!

22157621414_941fd1d0c5_k.jpg

22159252543_00b8c506dc_k.jpg

22766868422_cfbaec69b3_k.jpg

22791601531_57fee00ae7_k.jpg

These are the photos, the cracks to the driver side is a long crack all around the outer edge. The passenger is a series of crazed random cracks along the edge. I've sent this to the dealer and awaiting to hear back.

Last edited:

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
Good evening,

Apologies for the late response - There is a TPI applicable for this fault which basically means it is an issue that SEAT are aware of, if cracks on vehicles tail lights meet this criteria we will then replace them under warranty.

Thanks!

Sounds promising...

SiR26

Mar 21, 2015
Manchester
Any joy with those tail lights SiR26? Let us all know where all the good dealers are out there... It may help those who may have to pay for something that isn't their fault....

There's been progress as the dealer confirmed they are covered under warranty. I just need to get them book in now which should happen over the next few weeks. When done I'll let you know. Cheers Simon

tarpek

Nov 25, 2014
I have change rear right and for second time third break light in warranty

SC, 1.4 TSI ACT DSG 2014 MY 2015