MADDANE

hi
a friend of mine has just changed the engine in my 2.0 16v cupra
and we cant get it started.no spark
any ideas on what it could be
cheers MADDANE

MADDANE

hi
we changed the complete engine and gear box the other thing we done was got another key cut and had the new key reprogrammed.
put the key in and there are no lights on the dash press the alarm button lights flash and all the lights come on on the dash and the engine will turn over but no spark the fuel gauge and temp gauge go right the way up to the top and stay there
cheers MADDANE

thewiizard

Tarmac Tantaliser
Jan 15, 2007
Rugby, Midlands
www.tbfh.org
you need a power probe or a multimeter for this.

Pull the 3 pin cable off the coil, stick one probe off your multimeter/power probe onto a ground and then stick the other in the middle wire of the three.

Turn the car over, you should see power in flashes probably spaced a few milliseconds apart.

If you don't see anything try one of the other wires.

If you still get nothing on the meter when turning it over then your ECU isn't saying "SPARK SPARK SPARK SPARK SPARK" and if thats the case, your either immobilized or your ECU is now sleeping with the fishes..

It could also be something like a broken wire but its unlikely unless you sliced through it :think:

MADDANE

hi
i dont think there is power going to the coil
so might be sumthing to do with the immobilizer
its got after market one on i think
cheers MADDANE

thewiizard

Tarmac Tantaliser
Jan 15, 2007
Rugby, Midlands
www.tbfh.org
Well,

You should always have a live and an earth going to the coil regardless of whether it is immobilized or not.

As the standard immobilizer is built into the ECU it will stop the spark signal from being sent to the coil which results in no spark. If you have no live whatsoever to your coil i reckon you've popped a fuse somewhere.

But who knows, its all a guessing game without knowing exactly whats gone on under that bonnet of yours :)

lol @ sunny south wales

ryderf3

Aug 13, 2007
Hi maddane,

Sorry taken so long to reply, did try to email you, only now bounced back to me. Did you manage to get the car started? Just of the email was I will ask my mate if i can borrow it again but he is off work at the mo, not 100% sure if he is off for 1 week or 2. Let me know, sorry again.

Ryder

MADDANE

hi ryderf3
still havnt got it going yet no power to the coil.well thats what we think no sure if its the immobilizer or sumthing else if you can get the diagnostic thing off you mate i will pay him for his time just want to get the bloody thing running
cheers MADDANE

ryderf3

Aug 13, 2007
Ok well as soon as he is back in work ill ask him, can you drop me an e-mail At [email protected] so I have your email, not sure why it didnt work from my end, ill then email you as soon as iv spoke to him.

MADDANE

big thanks to ryderf3
my mate has got it going today he changed the sensor
and finally the ibiza is running after 18mts
if you hadnt come down i probably would have taken another 18mths to get it going
cheers i owe you one
MADDANE

Grunter

From this problem have learnt that the coil is triggered by a negative pulse, this means that you can test your coil output quite easily. Just strip a wire back about 2 inches and stuff it in the connector so that it makes contact with the middle connector and push the plugs together. Pull the coil to distributor HT lead out and place it so its about an inch from an earth (plenum will do) with the ignition on just flash the other end of the wire to an earth and you should see plenty sparks. Dont go mad and keep on doing it cos it looks good...... its just a test. As the signal from the engine speed sensor is such a short period of time a multimeter will not have time to react, i was advised that it can be tested with an LED but remember that the trigger signal is negative.

Now we know it works am off to get some service items.

HTH

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members