Cupra 280 New Gearbox

thedigitalage

Mar 21, 2013
:(I'm not having much luck with my Cupra, a car which I thought i'd be keeping 4-5 years has now given me 2nd thoughts about keeping out of warranty. I had the 3rd year service done in June, now on 32k miles, new tyres, new pads all around and was really looking forward to a week in Loch Lomond.

2 days in and driving at 30mph I had various error messages appear, followed by jerky response, lack of power and the gear number dissapear from the screen.

Luckily I had the free breakdown cover from the previous service, guy came out within an hour, had a drive of it, then was low-loaded back to the garage I bought it over 200 miles away.

A call this morning reports a new gearbox has been put on back order, but they're unsure as to whether the clutch comes with it, so can't begin to give me a quote.

I was expecting a bit more from the Cupra, not what I imagine being 2 years into ownership. A near identical issue on a Golf GTI had gearbox and mechatroncs replaced. Seat haven't mentioned the latter.

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
:(I'm not having much luck with my Cupra, a car which I thought i'd be keeping 4-5 years has now given me 2nd thoughts about keeping out of warranty. I had the 3rd year service done in June, now on 32k miles, new tyres, new pads all around and was really looking forward to a week in Loch Lomond.

2 days in and driving at 30mph I had various error messages appear, followed by jerky response, lack of power and the gear number dissapear from the screen.

Luckily I had the free breakdown cover from the previous service, guy came out within an hour, had a drive of it, then was low-loaded back to the garage I bought it over 200 miles away.

A call this morning reports a new gearbox has been put on back order, but they're unsure as to whether the clutch comes with it, so can't begin to give me a quote.

I was expecting a bit more from the Cupra, not what I imagine being 2 years into ownership. A near identical issue on a Golf GTI had gearbox and mechatroncs replaced. Seat haven't mentioned the latter.

It'll be a manufacturing defect that's caused it; the DSG6 is strong to be honest, plenty of people running way over stock power without issue.

Have you been given a courtesy car? You should have one with SEAT Roadside Assistance.

thedigitalage

Mar 21, 2013
Good point actually, I might give them a call and see what they offer. The garage weren't going to offer or even ask if I wanted a courtesy car.

I know what you mean about them being strong, seeing as other VW, Audi using the same box, it's just a let down really.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Good point actually, I might give them a call and see what they offer. The garage weren't going to offer or even ask if I wanted a courtesy car.

I know what you mean about them being strong, seeing as other VW, Audi using the same box, it's just a let down really.

Definitely do that; like I said, you should get a courtesy car as it says on the SEAT Roadside Assistance documentation. You should get a Leon; a like-for-like if I'm correct.

Sorry to hear about your problem, it's sod's law. Mine's a 14 plate, approx 35,000 miles now, no problems with the box.

thedigitalage

Mar 21, 2013
Great suggestion. I rang the assistance, waiting for a call tonight, then will be getting a car 10-4pm tomorrow for 2 days. After 2 days I have to ring the dealership and ask if they will cover the next period. If not i'm assuming the car get collected.

Mines a 2014, 33k, so just goes to show really. Do you know if it's possible to extend the 3 year warranty into 4, or is that only an option from new?

I'll see how this experience goes first, then go from there. I've read that the box does feel different once changed, so will have to see if I can notice.

I also wondered if the 40k miles gearbox oil will need doing since it'll already have been replaced at 33k miles.

Thanks

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Great suggestion. I rang the assistance, waiting for a call tonight, then will be getting a car 10-4pm tomorrow for 2 days. After 2 days I have to ring the dealership and ask if they will cover the next period. If not i'm assuming the car get collected.

Mines a 2014, 33k, so just goes to show really. Do you know if it's possible to extend the 3 year warranty into 4, or is that only an option from new?

I'll see how this experience goes first, then go from there. I've read that the box does feel different once changed, so will have to see if I can notice.

I also wondered if the 40k miles gearbox oil will need doing since it'll already have been replaced at 33k miles.

Thanks

The box will feel different, but only because the software will have been reset; the software learns as it goes along. After a few hundred miles, it'll feel the same.

You can extend the warranty yes. I believe it's around £600 for a year; less than a new gearbox, but still enough to ooh and ahh. Also, it's important to remember that your new gearbox will have a 2-year part's warranty from the date of install.

The 40k oil change will be reset; so it will apply 40k after the new gearbox goes in.

Last edited:

thedigitalage

Mar 21, 2013
Ah I see, thanks for the help.

The thread i'd read mentioned that some downchanges seemed clunky, but you're right it could just be the new box learning. I'll be asking them about the service, but to be fair, i'm 7k miles away from that, and only 5 months 4-5 months from potentially changing cars, so might never need it.

I'll also ask about the warranty just in case - might be a waste, but could also be a lifesaver

I'll keep the post updated :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.