Cupra 280 - resonator or rear muffler (silencer) delete? Help!

Mar 29, 2020
Afternoon people,

Just a very quick one. I'm looking to delete my resonator or rear muffler (silencer), can someone please help me in choosing which one I should delete? I'm more leaning towards the rear muffler at the moment. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Please see attached image.

upload_2020-3-29_14-47-44.png

Last edited:

Jordan Neill

Nov 25, 2018
Depends what you want, how loud etc. But I did double res delete. Can buy online pipes for it.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Afternoon people,

Just a very quick one. I'm looking to delete my resonator or rear muffler (silencer), can someone please help me in choosing which one I should delete? I'm more leaning towards the rear muffler at the moment. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Please see attached image.

View attachment 13903
If I'd of known how much use that picture was going to get when I drew it, I'd of done a much more professional job lol

Reactions: Miguel 7

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Afternoon people,

View attachment 13903
I think if you remove just one, you'll want the other removing at some point - it's what I've heard from a lot of 280 owners. I'm friends with one that bought a new Milltek system, to get some more noise. It was supposed to be a non res system but came with 2 resonators (work that one out!). He's had the first res removed, and it's still too quiet. He's getting the second removed shortly.

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I have the double resonator delete and backbox still in place.

There’s a guy with a white cupra DSG 280 on YouTube who made loads of videos - one thing he done was the backbox delete and the difference in sound was pretty disappointing, could see it in his face when driving for the first time.

This is how mines is with the zaustworx res delete.

This is the video of the guy who done the backbox delete, a lot more work for less by the sounds of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I've got a MY20 290 with the GPF. I've found the exhaust note is a lot louder than the average car, but it does not have that sports car deep growl when pulling away. My car does not have a muffler, just the resonator and rear silencer.
From most of the videos ive seen of people do a res and silencer delete it sounds like the car is running its exhaust through a bunch of baked bean cans welded together. A very raspy fart.

The resonators purpose is to take the edge off the exhaust noise by allowing the sound to resonate within that long wide tube. The silencer removes some of the volume by allowing the sound waves to expand somewhat inside that big box at the back.

I think if you want more volume, take the silencer off. If you want a sharper exhaust note with more rasp too it, take the resonator off. If you want a bake bean can exhaust, take both off.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
I had a 280 and removed both centre silencers/resonator and didn't need to change anything after, it's rather loud.

When I got my 300, all I did was remove the one resonator, and again it's perfect... start with that and keep it cheaper, and if it's not enough, then custom/replace the back box I would say

Reactions: Jordan Neill

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Thinking of removing both resonators but keeping the back box. Apart from the better noise, will it increase power? And is it louder on the motorway?

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Thinking of removing both resonators but keeping the back box. Apart from the better noise, will it increase power? And is it louder on the motorway?

Had mine for a couple of years, it’s hard to say if there’s any power increase but I’d say if there is it’s very minimal. From the research I did at the time there was no performance improvement due to the bends in the exhaust being the restrictive part.

There is more noise on the motorway, but it’s well worth it and absolutely not over the top or unbearable by any means. Done many long journeys up and down the country and I’ve never once thought I wish it was quieter.

From memory there is two types, more expensive ones with mandrel (sp) bends that allow for more flow, these are noisier than the one I have with standard bends.

One of the best mods I’ve done in honesty, you won’t regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: H Rafiq
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members