Cupra 300 - 2500RPM Torque Drop - Dyno Run Graph

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
So i have had this issue for 30000 miles and doesn't get any better or any worse.

Have tried to post here before for any other EA888 engine owners with the same problems but nothing.

I have had the issue data logged, dyno run and nothing on the data points to any issues so without invasive exploration there is not a lot left to do. The real world data logging didn't show issues with fuel/air/knocks/etc.

So looking at the Dyno run graph there is a distinct drop/loss of torque around 2500rpm, this immediately picks up again but you can feel this in the car and it is most noticeable at low throttle.

My query is does anyone else have this or any possible clues about the cause? Perhaps this is normal? For avoidance of doubt, i have felt this loss of torque for 2 years now and many miles, the dyno runs just seem to confirm this.

Appreciate the long shot here!

Revo Dyno.jpg

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
Given you're running 360hp (or thereabouts), could it be a bad map? You haven't mentioned it being remapped, but I understand that cheap flash maps aren't always the best. Some decent software or a custom map could sort that out.

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
This run is post Revo Stage 1 ECU and DSG.

I dont have a printout log of stock tune - it was stock before this - so the torque loss was present on stock.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Have you spoken to Revo directly about this?

It definitely isn’t normal!

I’m not an expert by any means but my first point of checking would be Revo direct to get them to data log it and check what’s happening.

Have you replaced the spark plugs / coil packs at all to potentially look to remediate any misfiring?

I’d ask for the car to be reverted to stock and dyno’d to see if the dip is there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
So the dip in torque has been evident in the car for over 30000 miles. Always at 2500rpm

Its only since i have had the car dyno'd that i can visually see the dip that i have felt.

The remap has not made it worse or better

The on road data logging (pre remap) didn't show any signs of misfiring or point to any issues with the coil pack / spark plugs at 2500 rpm

So im not defending or blaming the remap, it didnt seem to make any difference to the torque loss sensation in the car.

Butty

Sep 7, 2018
Any logging carried out for AFR, boost profile or timing you can post up? Any faults logged on the ECU - though these should have been checked before the remap took place.

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
I dont know about Boost profile logging but no faults on the ecu.

We didn't dyno it on stock.

I think i am going to switch to Shell 99 for a few thousand miles and see what happens - i have run tesco 99 most of the time and perhaps its the additional ethanol in the blend and she runs lean at that rpm.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Isn't that when the cam changes over? Mine has a dip there to, and that's on a number of different versions of the RL map.

Ignore me - looking at the wrong part sorry!!

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
I have always thought that as i had a Civic VTEC which also had a similar sensation when the cam switched but i wasn't aware the EA888 had a cam change (though i dont know much about this stuff)

Interesting that on the RL maps there is a dip too. With so many of this engine out there, surely this would be a universal issue?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Current Map once sorted by RL :)

index.php

Updated 'Racing' map after issue found with my ECU:
index.php

And first map that highlighted the ECU issue:
index.php

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I have always thought that as i had a Civic VTEC which also had a similar sensation when the cam switched but i wasn't aware the EA888 had a cam change (though i dont know much about this stuff)

Interesting that on the RL maps there is a dip too. With so many of this engine out there, surely this would be a universal issue?
Sorry, I thought you were on about the 3500/4000rpm, not 2,500rpm

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Yes, pretty much only on tesco 99, i will try shell vpower from now on
The reason I mentioned that is becase on a standard Ibiza 1.0TSI...my experience between the 3 'super petrols' was that Vpower gave me the best mpg, Esso 97 gave me the smoothest engine, while Momentum 99 gave me nothing 'extra' that normal 95 would have given me. Never tried BP Ultimate 97 nor Texaco 97.
Also did the person who mapped your car did it to 99RON, or as per the fuel cap 98RON, or perhaps it wasn't stated as such.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Im gonna replace the sparks and coil packs, though i dont think its a misfire.

Maybe get it on a diagnostic machine or if you have VCDS/OBDEleven you can check for misfires. It saves you spending £150+ for something that could be nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise