Cupra 300 DSG vs Manual?

Alexpowell1

Apr 21, 2018
Manchester
Hiya,

This may have been posted many times but would like answers on the 300 Cupra Leon, put an order in for the DSG but the wait time is over 24 weeks. Found stock cars but they are all manual. How much worse is the Manual gearbox to DSG?

Could anybody shine some light on if its a downgrade compared?

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Initially I wanted a manual, but after driving the DSG, farts and all, I didn't bother with the manual. Resale is much easier with DSG here too, everyone wants autos down here, they can't focus on steering and shifting.
It was a close run thing though.

UTCIAD

Dorset
May 6, 2014
Bournemouth
Hiya,

This may have been posted many times but would like answers on the 300 Cupra Leon, put an order in for the DSG but the wait time is over 24 weeks. Found stock cars but they are all manual. How much worse is the Manual gearbox to DSG?

Could anybody shine some light on if its a downgrade compared?

I will let you know in a few weeks (hopefully) when my manual 290 is replaced by a DSG 300. I've never had an issue with the box on current car or manual 280 before that but after a recent left knee replacement have decided it's time for a change. I also test drove an Ateca FR DSG and was really impressed by how good the latest 7 speed version is.

silles

May 4, 2017
DSG ... took a while to get used to it, after driving manuals for 20 years... but now it's stuck on me.
cons:
- a bit less driving involvement
- very expensive if goes wrong
- sometimes it has it's own mind ... shifts too early in D, and never in S

pros:
- faster, smoother gear changes
- dsg farts
- if u lazy/stuck in traffic stick it into Auto and just cruise
- safer to drive, 2 hands on the wheels all the times.
- clutch is stronger, than the manual one
- overtaking is a joys, just floor it, it while select the best gear and there u go

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I have a manual 280 and originally ordered a manual 300. I chose a manual for two reasons "involvement" and "price".

It wasn't until I was in an accident last year and was given an DSG for a courtesy car for a couple of months that it made me realize how good DSG can be.

DSG is especially good if you do alot city driving.
The acc is a much more effective option on the DSG car as it can bring the car to a complete stop and can handle crawling in traffic.

The DSG is quicker and if you choose you can handle your changes with the paddles (not ideal in traffic though). The engine/exhaust has a lot more character as standard too with the DSG farts and more consistent overrun crackles.

I've been forced into having a DSG now because of delays in processing my original order, but I couldnt be happier.

The fastest cars I've driven have been auto/semi auto.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
There are no right or wrong answers here, but just to give a bit of balance... I am just about to move from a GTI with DSG to a Cupra with manual. People always seem surprised when I say I didn't get on with the DSG. I just find it's much harder to pick the correct gear, even in manual mode - I especially hate that moving from 5th to 3rd, for example, is a two-step process where in the manual you have full control to go from/to any gear directly. Then in automatic, I find D a little too "economy" and S holds on to the gears a little bit too long to ever be practical to use for more than a few seconds at a time.

I have to agree about the stop/start traffic point - it takes the strain out of it. But traffic isn't enjoyable in a manual or an auto. I prefer to have a car that's a blast on a nice sunny day and a B road. Before anyone points out the obvious flaw in this plan being based in the UK... let me dream.

silles

May 4, 2017
There are no right or wrong answers here, but just to give a bit of balance... I am just about to move from a GTI with DSG to a Cupra with manual. People always seem surprised when I say I didn't get on with the DSG. I just find it's much harder to pick the correct gear, even in manual mode - I especially hate that moving from 5th to 3rd, for example, is a two-step process where in the manual you have full control to go from/to any gear directly. Then in automatic, I find D a little too "economy" and S holds on to the gears a little bit too long to ever be practical to use for more than a few seconds at a time.

I have to agree about the stop/start traffic point - it takes the strain out of it. But traffic isn't enjoyable in a manual or an auto. I prefer to have a car that's a blast on a nice sunny day and a B road. Before anyone points out the obvious flaw in this plan being based in the UK... let me dream.

you can just "double click" to move from 5th->3rd

re: sunny day + b road: I'm planning to do that this weekend, but pretty sure my fun will be ruined by stucking behind Miss Daisy / poor road surface/pothols/ traffic/ rain, speed cameras .....

Bailer

May 15, 2018
its completely down to personal preference, I've done both over the years, see-sawing over and back. I've just changed from a vRS that was manual (I decided to spend the extra 2.5K at the time on other extras over DSG and always regretted it), this time over the 4Drive with DSG, manual wasn't an option and I am extremely impressed with the DSG, I can never see myself going back again for the daily driver, would certainly consider for a weekend motor (have an awful soft spot for the S2000 :redface:). While it can never be a manual, with a little practice, its not far off. I must admit embarrassingly in the first week I clutched the break pedal twice and nearly exited through the windscreen, the stopping power of the Cupra brakes are ridiculous. Economy is far better than I expected on the DSG and 4Drive, I had a 200KM leisurely spin yesterday for work (hence the leisurely) and averaged 44MPG, mix of motorway and empty B roads!

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Economy is far better than I expected on the DSG and 4Drive, I had a 200KM leisurely spin yesterday for work (hence the leisurely) and averaged 44MPG, mix of motorway and empty B roads!

How did you manage that!?? Have not ever been even in the neighbourhood of that yet.. :)

What speeds were you driving?
...I am off to do a Sweden/Norway run in about one month and I expect that with the speed limits there my average will improve, but still...

silles

May 4, 2017
low 40s mpg is doable, when I was running in and driving carefully for the first 1000 miles, I managed to get 41 mpg on 200 miles trip

DUl-52JQcCAEHDS94PXtig2IaENJ1CoRUGp52Au95nsd4iytgW7v63LMj9ZROcOwE9wr8VzKdxhBo2qbEHBnk2GhOfzyxEqyWZmsXXYAXEWK6pOq1POvR7vkc86vs5IhLr-1DJFTlabSGZBKmrU-TwbPOCkcK6QmrLF5rKxNQ4QvRJp-rIleawaeH1LXqu_4O8lYEKLGp2XKQX2YfDLBxhaEMZuEFP_30XW0KFg-sVDLzC0z6KzrcsRzXSPxiIveCgZ9N-aa7W4I92S42o83QDM--DwgAtbTxndQEcEdxb_Yi29g792GAn4Ws3WTxJFbJG7-NE_Nm6ZgR8HeVQSpuHSI-gQoI3X82LIn5X3nXyDf3baPZUxBeRa1PZUkjNPyBHqU68SUNMwtefEHkRN4y-cO7iOUzaBig-BXy4r66pKbGYyPZ8ZK9VkA3veCCt4H1HFwPu_OktxIb53t-IgKBgC8VPM45FBO-KhxDoaoQE_BZKnvnZgj27EXyuuryv32kKRdEgcxhRIHA4r6vQNnAb2OKipqkd85pV6zITY7SfW_vxWNN-E94J_28LTeqtyotU2gowN2CHghKgRxVtH-nbXRmgqaZJ8qpXrJzu2sj1sbDJhhndSUUHwOo48Ev7K28kGY1eukT-TDq8htTV_EMIig2F0mekluWQ=w1711-h962-no

Since than my right foot got a bit heavy and mpg dropped :)

Reactions: Paul1979

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
All personal preference as others have said.
I personally don't like the DSG - nothing wrong with it - its just not for me.
Manual box with clutch stop added and clutch delay valve removed is nice to drive.

Paul1979

Mar 30, 2018
low 40s mpg is doable, when I was running in and driving carefully for the first 1000 miles, I managed to get 41 mpg on 200 miles trip

DUl-52JQcCAEHDS94PXtig2IaENJ1CoRUGp52Au95nsd4iytgW7v63LMj9ZROcOwE9wr8VzKdxhBo2qbEHBnk2GhOfzyxEqyWZmsXXYAXEWK6pOq1POvR7vkc86vs5IhLr-1DJFTlabSGZBKmrU-TwbPOCkcK6QmrLF5rKxNQ4QvRJp-rIleawaeH1LXqu_4O8lYEKLGp2XKQX2YfDLBxhaEMZuEFP_30XW0KFg-sVDLzC0z6KzrcsRzXSPxiIveCgZ9N-aa7W4I92S42o83QDM--DwgAtbTxndQEcEdxb_Yi29g792GAn4Ws3WTxJFbJG7-NE_Nm6ZgR8HeVQSpuHSI-gQoI3X82LIn5X3nXyDf3baPZUxBeRa1PZUkjNPyBHqU68SUNMwtefEHkRN4y-cO7iOUzaBig-BXy4r66pKbGYyPZ8ZK9VkA3veCCt4H1HFwPu_OktxIb53t-IgKBgC8VPM45FBO-KhxDoaoQE_BZKnvnZgj27EXyuuryv32kKRdEgcxhRIHA4r6vQNnAb2OKipqkd85pV6zITY7SfW_vxWNN-E94J_28LTeqtyotU2gowN2CHghKgRxVtH-nbXRmgqaZJ8qpXrJzu2sj1sbDJhhndSUUHwOo48Ev7K28kGY1eukT-TDq8htTV_EMIig2F0mekluWQ=w1711-h962-no

Since than my right foot got a bit heavy and mpg dropped :)

That dash looks as sweet as :) Cant wait for mine.

I did an economy run in my little Fiesta 1L 140bhp at the weekend and managed 45mpg for a 200 mile trip. So to get this kinda MPG from the Cupra is amazing!

Reactions: ghostbustertab

Bailer

May 15, 2018
How did you manage that!?? Have not ever been even in the neighbourhood of that yet.. :)

What speeds were you driving?
...I am off to do a Sweden/Norway run in about one month and I expect that with the speed limits there my average will improve, but still...
Pretty much stuck to 100-105kmph on the motorways and 70-80kmph on the B roads, bank holiday weekend here so the traffic police come out of hiding for a few days, was a beautiful sunny day and I wasn’t in a rush. My normal work commute hovers in the low 30s and a fun run can be high teens. I’m just impressed that if you want to be relatively economical it is possible, especially with the price of petrol about to soar due to the eejits in opec.

Reactions: Jaco2k

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
DSG is especially good if you do alot city driving.
The acc is a much more effective option on the DSG car as it can bring the car to a complete stop and can handle crawling in traffic.

The crawling along in traffic with ACC is a good feature. I do wish that it had the Stop/ Go feature that the Audi's have.

VAG are very protective over their hierarchy and spec levels though aren't they.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
What is this feature? My car has Tech Pack 4, which includes traffic jam assist, whatever that might be ;)
Audi's (The RS6 anyway) in the UK equipped with adaptive cruise control have a feature that will bring the car to a full stop in traffic, hold the brakes and then move off again when the traffic starts to move.

My car (2014 Cupra 280 DSG) has adaptive cruise and will bring the car to a full stop, a warning for me to apply the brake pedal comes up on the screen and if I don't put the brakes on the car will start to move within a couple of seconds.

Traffic Jam Assist sounds much like the Stop/Go feature in Audi's

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
you can just "double click" to move from 5th->3rd
Good to know.
To be honest I only used the paddles a couple of times when I drove the auto, never really got the opportiopport
Audi's (The RS6 anyway) in the UK equipped with adaptive cruise control have a feature that will bring the car to a full stop in traffic, hold the brakes and then move off again when the traffic starts to move.

My car (2014 Cupra 280 DSG) has adaptive cruise and will bring the car to a full stop, a warning for me to apply the brake pedal comes up on the screen and if I don't put the brakes on the car will start to move within a couple of seconds.

Traffic Jam Assist sounds much like the Stop/Go feature in Audi's

Yeah the traffic jam assist can do stop start traffic and basic steering to keep in lane.

It's just a combination of lane assist and ACC.
Something I wish I'd spec'd.

Reactions: ghostbustertab
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.