Cupra 300 nightmare in the snow

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
I believe looking on YouTube that but I'm no mechanic some cars can starve fuel when the wheel spins excessive it was only a question sorry for asking.:cry:

Just so long as you learn that there are always stupid questions. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Ze turbo has nicht kontrol over ze fuel pump. The ECU takes care of TC and will have various options for reducing power, reducing fuel being one of them.[/QUOTE]

I think I did mention the TC so the question wasn't that daft ZE NI WATZ I MENZ My tyres are also fine they get me from A to B fine 99.9% of the time with no issues.

Again I asked a simple question which was probably that simple it was stupid as anyone suffered with engine output drop out as I've never experienced this issue before with other cars I've owned

And the answers I've received are from Experts in mechanics and professors in Rubber technology and also people who think they are Sébastien Ogier (Rally Driver if you didn't know but I will not belittle you for not knowing ) and could drive to the North pole without any issues.

And car salesman trying to sell me a Fiesta !!!!!

But after all the responses I've made my own conclusion to switch the traction control off !!!! And not to spend £400 on winter tyres for the 0.1% I might need them and have never required them for the last 35yrs.

Perhaps people on this site would like to add value or positive answers instead of nit picking peoples questions no matter how daft they might look !!!!! Is this not what the site is for !!!!

Last edited:

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
Just so long as you learn that there are always stupid questions. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Ze turbo has nicht kontrol over ze fuel pump. The ECU takes care of TC and will have various options for reducing power, reducing fuel being one of them.

I think I did mention the TC so the question wasn't that daft ZE NI WATZ I MENZ My tyres are also fine they get me from A to B fine 99.9% of the time with no issues.

Again I asked a simple question which was probably that simple it was stupid as anyone suffered with engine output drop out as I've never experienced this issue before with other cars I've owned

And the answers I've received are from Experts in mechanics and professors in Rubber technology and also people who think they are Sébastien Ogier (Rally Driver if you didn't know but I will not belittle you for not knowing ) and could drive to the North pole without any issues.

But after all the responses I've made my own conclusion to switch the traction control off !!!! And not to spend £400 on winter tyres for the 0.1% I might need them and have never required them for the last 35yrs.

Perhaps people on this site would like to add value or positive answers instead of Knit picking peoples questions no matter how daft they might look !!!!! Is this not what the site is for !!!![/QUOTE]

Haha. Calm down. Just winding you. You seem like a fizzy man. Relax and accept that people like to point out others ignorance. It's only human.

Oh and, I hate to nit-pick but i think you misspelt nit-picking above. There is no 'K' which is similar to the mistake you made about the turbo cutting the fuel supply............and breathe

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017

Perhaps people on this site would like to add value or positive answers instead of Knit picking peoples questions no matter how daft they might look !!!!! Is this not what the site is for !!!!

Haha. Calm down. Just winding you. You seem like a fizzy man. Relax and accept that people like to point out others ignorance. It's only human.

Oh and, I hate to nit-pick but i think you misspelt nit-picking above. There is no 'K' which is similar to the mistake you made about the turbo cutting the fuel supply............and breathe[/QUOTE]

Its the Italian blood inside me :censored: , pulling on my ear lobes as a write this.:whistle: And that now includes the spelling and Grammar police

Last edited:

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
There is no problem with Leon in the snow.
Just get proper tyres people!:rofl:
You dont go play hockey with your sneakers either and cry lack of grip.

Winter daily drives i keep ESC on, works very nice...
Just put the boot to the floor when going on deep snow or uphill and it just pulls.

Only downside i have with my car is that its floor is touching to the ground a lot,
since i have been too lazy to raise the ride height on my coilovers:whistle:

Reactions: NotSoSimple

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Just so long as you learn that there are always stupid questions. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Ze turbo has nicht kontrol over ze fuel pump. The ECU takes care of TC and will have various options for reducing power, reducing fuel being one of them.

Perhaps people on this site would like to add value or positive answers instead of nit picking peoples questions no matter how daft they might look !!!!! Is this not what the site is for !!!![/QUOTE]

Judge Jules. He's not a real Judge. Oh yes. And never trust a hippy. As for nits, I'm bald so it's not an issue. ;)

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
There is no problem with Leon in the snow.
Just get proper tyres people!:rofl:
You dont go play hockey with your sneakers either and cry lack of grip.

Winter daily drives i keep ESC on, works very nice...
Just put the boot to the floor when going on deep snow or uphill and it just pulls.

Only downside i have with my car is that its floor is touching to the ground a lot,
since i have been too lazy to raise the ride height on my coilovers:whistle:

Be ok now we have had the 2 days worth of snow for this year in the UK. [B)] And if you was playing Hockey for just 1 match would you go and buy all the equipment for it or make do with what you have ????

Last edited:

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
Be ok now we have had the 2 days worth of snow for this year in the UK. [B)] And if you was playing Hockey for just 1 match would you go and buy all the equipment for it or make do with what you have ????

I think you're still missing the point mate, winter tyres are not designed for just when it snows, its when its cold too and summer tyres do not heat up enough to give a decent amount of grip. Snow or not when its cold you are going to see an advantage

I get that you dont use them, I dont either, but in some parts of the country there is undoubtedly a need for them during the colder months.

You never know, you might have been missing out on a much better driving experience in the winter months if you've never tried them

Reactions: NotSoSimple

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I think you're still missing the point mate, winter tyres are not designed for just when it snows, its when its cold too and summer tyres do not heat up enough to give a decent amount of grip. Snow or not when its cold you are going to see an advantage

I get that you dont use them, I dont either, but in some parts of the country there is undoubtedly a need for them during the colder months.

You never know, you might have been missing out on a much better driving experience in the winter months if you've never tried them

Agreed.

I read somewhere that :
14c and above - summer tyres work better.
7c to 14c there is not much between summer and winter tyres
Below 7c - winter tyres work best

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Agreed.

I read somewhere that :
14c and above - summer tyres work better.
7c to 14c there is not much between summer and winter tyres
Below 7c - winter tyres work best

Yes - pretty much. This does not take into account tread patterns per say, just rubber compound performance.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014

I live (broadly speaking) in the south, and being retired, if I don’t need to drive when the weather’s poor, I don’t. But if my circumstances were different - i.e. living in a part of the UK that gets harsher winter weather, and having to drive to and from work, I’d get winter tyres on the car from November - March.

Last edited:

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017

Hi,
Yes I understand that winter tyres are not solely to improve grip in the snow and will benefit when conditions are colder.

I actually work for a German owned company in which I have to travel to Germany on a regular basis and it's law for them to change over to winters tyres in the winter.

But the tyres ive got on at the moment are more than adequate for my needs and more than happy with the grip they give me. As previous threads I was expressing the surprise in engine output drop out linked to the sensitivity of the traction control.

https://conversation.which.co.uk/motoring/winter-tyres-not-worth-the-money/ agree entirely

Last edited:

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Turn the traction control keep stability on for the shits and giggles for roundabouts make sure your car never has tyres on it that cost less than £160, and hopefully you had a manual handbrake over the electronic and your set for winter driving.

Must of spent a good 20 mins the other week with 2 trays under my back tyres ya know the Ones KFC put your food on when they serve you, red lining and wheel spinning figures of 8 on a local car park brilliant stuff, but the fun of the day was had in a Toyota MR2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
Apologies for dragging this thread up again but it reminded me of the time I was driving my Cavalier GSi in the snow 25 years ago. Nose to tail traffic, slight gradient, I had to stop. Could I get going again ... nae chance! What rubbed salt (could have done with some of it!) into the wound was folk in skinny tyre cars (Metro's, Micra's etc) quite happily passing me.

Yes there are ways to drive in the snow but I think we have to accept if we buy high powered front/rear wheel drive cars with fat tyres then ice/snow ain't necessarily your friend!

Btw just noticed I last logged in Dec 16!!! See you again in a year or so :)

dsj20v

Dec 6, 2007
hampshire
Well that was fun getting over a long steep bridge last night, cupra coped pretty well until the bridge, 3 guys pushing helped get just enough traction eventually

Last edited:

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
I can’t believe how good the Cupra is in the snow, granted I have winter tyres but it is just so well balanced. Just been through 5 inches of fresh snow on estate, then out on gritted roads but still with largely full snow cover, through slushy stuff then back to ungritted roads where snow had compacted. Never felt out of control and actually enjoyed the drive.

Last edited:

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
I can’t believe how good the Cupra is in the snow, granted I have winter tyres but it is just so well balanced. Just been through 5 inches of fresh snow on estate, then out on gritted roads but still with largely full snow cover, through slushy stuff then back to ungritted roads where snow had compacted. Never felt out of control and actually enjoyed the drive.

This is positive news! Will defo be getting some winter tyres. What size alloys and what tyres are you using if you dont mind me asking?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Would a pair of snow socks for tyres help us summer tyre folks in the event we get stuck? Or are those strictly for winter tyres to aide traction when even the winters get stuck and only other things that would get them out are studded or chains?

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
Would a pair of snow socks for tyres help us summer tyre folks in the event we get stuck? Or are those strictly for winter tyres to aide traction when even the winters get stuck and only other things that would get them out are studded or chains?

Snow Socks will help if you get stuck. trouble is once you come off the snow onto a road that is clear you need to stop and remove them or they will wear through very quickly.

silles

May 4, 2017
wow i didn't know that u can fit 17" to the cupra, I thought 340mm brake are to big for that wheel size