Cupra wheel hop, sorted...

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
So, I've just got back from having the 034 installed.

First impressions are - Can't tell any difference in terms of vibration. The engine starts harder at start-up, but that's about it.

Wheel hop - gone. Wheel spin - remains.

Will test it out properly in the coming days.

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
So, I've just got back from having the 034 installed.

First impressions are - Can't tell any difference in terms of vibration. The engine starts harder at start-up, but that's about it.

Wheel hop - gone. Wheel spin - remains.

Will test it out properly in the coming days.

What about engine note, is it louder when warm? Mine is, love it :D.

Had a rather wet and wild way home from work so decided to go the more "open and dead" way home instead yesturday and the funniest thing happened. Pulled along side a Mk2 Cupra at some traffic lights, looked over too him and he was giving the signal, as ya do, I kindly made my plea about the it being very wet but he shrugged in that "may as well!" kind of way so thought "sod it, perfect chance to really put the insert to the test!"

Long story short...smoked him :-o! Couldn't believe it, launched it pretty hard as well, wheels hopped a little bit (but again, no way like stock jackhammering on the chasis, just quite light) as it was fighting the wet service it then proceeded to spin, into second gear, just spin this time but heavy in the wet, but then suddenly found it's form and I was away and normal pelt.

Could not believe it and I don't think he could either, than Cupra clearly didnt have an insert as i saw it hopping and struggling for grip quite bad and I he respectfully acknowledged from behind me that i'd taken that lol :1st:

Another red light "eek" i thought, he pulls up, surprised face, smiles says to again "spin 'em up!" to which i'm like "Oh god..." and yep would you believe it, 2 for 2 same story, initial light tramp followed by the lock into first from spin, into 2nd initial power spin into grip and full power away, amazing, I think he may as well of been doing a FWD burnout lol, simply unable to get the power down (all 235 or so HP mind you I should add!) and away i went again, magic :D.

I think the key different here was insert allowing the power to get down, and in combination with m dunlop sportmaxx RT2s it was a no brainer. So what a fantastic real world example to go on for the mertis of the insert, what a piece of kit! Without the insert it would of been a ludicrously aweful and possibly damaging experience, with it, a ton more confidence and even at medium throttle (which is the proper way) it puts the wet power down perfectly after minor spin between a initial and change. Praise 034, I would say we should all get one!

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
What about engine note, is it louder when warm? Mine is, love it :D.

Had a rather wet and wild way home from work so decided to go the more "open and dead" way home instead yesturday and the funniest thing happened. Pulled along side a Mk2 Cupra at some traffic lights, looked over too him and he was giving the signal, as ya do, I kindly made my plea about the it being very wet but he shrugged in that "may as well!" kind of way so thought "sod it, perfect chance to really put the insert to the test!"

Long story short...smoked him :-o! Couldn't believe it, launched it pretty hard as well, wheels hopped a little bit (but again, no way like stock jackhammering on the chasis, just quite light) as it was fighting the wet service it then proceeded to spin, into second gear, just spin this time but heavy in the wet, but then suddenly found it's form and I was away and normal pelt.

Could not believe it and I don't think he could either, than Cupra clearly didnt have an insert as i saw it hopping and struggling for grip quite bad and I he respectfully acknowledged from behind me that i'd taken that lol :1st:

Another red light "eek" i thought, he pulls up, surprised face, smiles says to again "spin 'em up!" to which i'm like "Oh god..." and yep would you believe it, 2 for 2 same story, initial light tramp followed by the lock into first from spin, into 2nd initial power spin into grip and full power away, amazing, I think he may as well of been doing a FWD burnout lol, simply unable to get the power down (all 235 or so HP mind you I should add!) and away i went again, magic :D.

I think the key different here was insert allowing the power to get down, and in combination with m dunlop sportmaxx RT2s it was a no brainer. So what a fantastic real world example to go on for the mertis of the insert, what a piece of kit! Without the insert it would of been a ludicrously aweful and possibly damaging experience, with it, a ton more confidence and even at medium throttle (which is the proper way) it puts the wet power down perfectly after minor spin between a initial and change. Praise 034, I would say we should all get one!

The engine note sounds a bit louder. Can't really tell much of a difference.

One thing I have noticed is that the extra vibration in the cabin has caused an absolutely horrendous rattle around the DSG gear knob area. Absolutely awful.

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
That sucks. I do think these metal inserts are not for DSG boxes as I've only really heard complaints regarding autos, not manuals. I don't have any cabin vibration at all, just engine vibration when you floor it from 1500-2000 then it cuts away and is certainly not enough to make anything rattle, no idle rattle, no daily rattle, no high speed vibrations just a lovely louder note :).

By the way bit off topic but, what is part number for torque bolt when fitting the insert? Wondering whether (and where) I can get another one because I am not sure how many "uses" I am supposed to reliably get out of the stock bolt as I've undone and redone it 3 times now due to ordering wrong part first time.

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
It is not a stretch bolt so unless you overtorqued it at some point, no real need to replace imho. However it's your peace of mind that counts.

Last edited:

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
It is not a stretch bolt so unless you overtorqued it at some point, no real need to replace imho. However it's your peace of mind that counts.

Not overtorqued it I believe, as both stock (without insert) and with insert, I believe it says to do it to 130nm as stated by 034 anyway.

Should I want a new bolt and washer, where would I get one? Struggling to find exactly what I'd need as I dunno if it's something like this I would need or something else: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-V...738148?hash=item259a132de4:g:ts4AAOSwj0NUdarq

Can't seem to find one for a Leon Mk3.

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
Replacing it with something not the original part might actually be worse.

Also, do you replace wheel bolts after three wheel replacements? People actually should as they are overtorqued very often...

Last edited:

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Replacing it with something not the original part might actually be worse.

Also, do you replace wheel bolts after three wheel replacements? People actually should as they are overtorqued very often...

I actually just mean an OEM part, where could I even get one? Lol, besides an official dealer I have no idea, if it's not needed that's fine but it's nice to just know.

Happy Days

Cupra 280/ FR 184 Nice.
Apr 13, 2016
Somerset
The engine note sounds a bit louder. Can't really tell much of a difference.

One thing I have noticed is that the extra vibration in the cabin has caused an absolutely horrendous rattle around the DSG gear knob area. Absolutely awful.

I am yet to fit mine and hope it does not cause vibration's inside the cabin.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I am yet to fit mine and hope it does not cause vibration's inside the cabin.

Found the source of the rattle. Was just a loose clip, not related to the 034. The 034 just made the little sucker rattle more.

I've just been out to give the car a good ragging and the 034 has definitely changed the way the transmission responds. You can feel the transmission moving less. Crisper gearshifts definitely. Doesn't feel any faster though.

Kraken

May 31, 2016
UK
Found the source of the rattle. Was just a loose clip, not related to the 034. The 034 just made the little sucker rattle more.

I've just been out to give the car a good ragging and the 034 has definitely changed the way the transmission responds. You can feel the transmission moving less. Crisper gearshifts definitely. Doesn't feel any faster though.

It wouldn't make it feel faster. Just maybe sound quicker, grip better and feel more solid, mine 100% does. Hows the wheel hop? Rocking 370hp which is literally almost DOUBLE what I have, surely it's been massively improved both in wet/dry?

Happy Days

Cupra 280/ FR 184 Nice.
Apr 13, 2016
Somerset

Thats great feedback! Happy day's.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
It wouldn't make it feel faster. Just maybe sound quicker, grip better and feel more solid, mine 100% does. Hows the wheel hop? Rocking 370hp which is literally almost DOUBLE what I have, surely it's been massively improved both in wet/dry?

It's been very wet today and I managed to get wheel hop once accelerating briskly from a standstill, which I never usually do. Just wanted to test it out. The wheel hopped twice but then dug in and away I went in a blaze of glory.

The wheel hop can be provoked but it's much less of an issue. I don't have to dance with the throttle as much now.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.